Chain Saw Trouble!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by mitchr, Jul 12, 2020.

1. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Tomorrow, heat permitting, I'll check the plug & spark arrester screen. Book says replace, nothing about cleaning it. Also, I checked air cleaner, merely a block of styrofoam, but maybe over looked something, so will wash it.

'Course, what I need the saw for can actually wait for cooler weather.:p

jwrauch, ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

good thing there wasn't a zombie horde at the door and you needed it as a last resort item.

ChaZam, TXplt, mauser9 and 1 other person like this.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The first time I used Seafoam in my KLR650 bike the motor conked out on the way to work. But, I fpushed the carb bowl, and it fired up again. I think the Seafoam broke some crud loose, and after that, I religiously used Seafoam for years with no more problem.

jwrauch, ChaZam, TXplt and 1 other person like this.
  4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I skimmed most responses.

Pull the muffler first. Clean if needed. Primary. Look at the cylinder for scoring. Pick the saw up by the pull cord. If there's not much slack, compression should be good with minimal cylinder scores.

It sounds like you have good spark. Clean the fuel tank, (as suggested above, Seafoam works well". Replace the fuel line and filter. Make sure the air cleaner/filter draws well. Slightly snug the high and low jet carb. screws and back them to the last running position.

If it runs now, set the low speed jet between near stall points on both ends. It shouldn't be much more than a quarter turn. Same for the high speed.

You should be running good and I'd check the oil flow to the chain before starting this coming winter's wood stack.

ChaZam, rando, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  5. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My new snow blower refused to run last winter. I left fuel in it over the summer. I took it down to Mexican Joe. He cleaned the varnish out and scolded me. Always make sure no fuel is left in the machine when stored. It works. :)

TXplt, rando, AK Hunter and 2 others like this.
  6. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

With a good fuel line especially. Saw's are notorious for cracked fuel lines. Especially if not kept clean and they run at high temps.

ChaZam, TXplt, rando and 1 other person like this.
  7. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I never store any small engines with fuel in them, I always empty the tank, start & run them until they quit, then store them. I have no problem with the alcohol fuel then as long as it has the StaBil in it 2 or 4 stroke. Two strokes are bad about fouling the plug if you try to run bad gas through them.

neophyte likes this.
  8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    I burn fire wood for all the heat in our home so live by my chain saws. I have a couple Huskvarnas, a Jonsered, two Polan's and a Echo the newest one.

I mix what is sole here as rec fuel non ethnol with some stabuil, Echo premium oil mix At 40:1 and 3 onces of Marvel Mystery oil 5 gallons at a time. Stuff is used in my saws, line trimmers and leaf blowers any 2 stroke really.

I got turned on to VP Fuel Fix in a can when I was having a problem with a snow blower surgeing.
    [​IMG]

It comes in a 50:1 mix and a 40:1 mix. Drain th efuel tank pour this stuff in the tank, Prime if it has a primer and let set 24 hours. If no primer set choke and turn the engine over a few times and let it set. I found it fixed my problem over night.

This spring daughter could not get her lawn mower to start so I told her to drain the tank and fill with this stuff. She let it set for 36 hours due to work and other things going on but it started right up.

I would try that before spending money on a china carb. Those cheap china carbs have some very mixed reviews and buying junk even if cheap does not appeal to me.

I would buy a carb kit and tear the carb for a good soak in carb cleaner or laqure thinner and rebuild before spending mone on a iffy china hunk of junk.
    Lots of You tubes on rebuilding carbs.

My oldest and newest saw.
    1976 Polan Model 25 still a great saw and a super limbing saw.
    2015 Echo CS 400 warrenty is 5 years and runs out this month.
    [​IMG]

Were I to buy another new saw today I would go to the Echo dealer and buy the size I wanted. 5 year warrenty close less than sthil and Husky, a good dealer will run th esaw and tune it before you go out the door.
    In fact I am debateing with my self about a new 800P for milling with.

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws?msclkid=dfcbd3e8bca21d4869cf8ce4e8abc936

I have a Echo string trimmer we bought in 1985 that still runs fine with the orginal carb.

Al

jwrauch, ChaZam, TXplt and 1 other person like this.
  9. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana
    The cap is a twist lock and lever pulls up to release so you can turn to remove the o rings go bad and expand or shrink are very prone to not go in and lock into place and leek if you do get them in have tried different fuels same thing was a warranty call but no better cant afford to replace so keep one of two new ones on hand like the saw but the cap can get you burned .
    Toolless Fuel Cap Recall | STIHL USA
    [​IMG]https://www.stihlusa.com/information/recalls/toolless-f

ChaZam, TXplt, neophyte and 1 other person like this.
  10. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Mine is a Troy Bilt, under $200, bought mainly for the "pull assist" :oops:. Don't use one enough to pay more. This is only the 3rd time I've cranked it up. It's been several years since the last use & I don't remember why I put it up with gas in it. I also have learned to run them dry for storage, just didn't this time.

jwrauch and neophyte like this.
  11. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Jim I have three chainsaws. Well the last one I bought which is a Husqvarna I only have used the canned engineered fuel. It has been running fine. I also have only used the same fuel in my new weed whacker. Everyone has their preference. In my outboard boat motor I use Stabil in gas. I just am tired of the ethanol eating up my parts.

jwrauch, ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  12. aht_six

aht_six G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Minnesota
    All my issues fuel system and carburetor issues with seasonal small engines started with the introduction of ethanol into our gas and ended when I started using only non-oxygenated fuel in all my seasonal small engines.

The gasoline mixed with corn squeezin's is fine with modern equipment that is used regularly. However, it spoils quickly and eats up old fuel lines and rubber parts that weren't designed for it.

jwrauch, ChaZam, TXplt and 2 others like this.
  13. rando

Maryland
    At this time I have four gas push type lawn mowers. They all have Briggs & Stratton engines. When ethanol was first added to gas I was using it just like many others in my mowers. It may take months or maybe the next season but it will screw up rubber like you say. I had needle valves in float bowl had tip swell up which was rubber on some and others solid brass. Also the small rubber seat up in the orifice that the needle sets in. They will swell up and hold needle and no fuel into carb. Biggest thing I experienced was the rubber carb Diaphragm starts to get soft and stretch and has wrinkles in it. It wont pump fuel as needed. Signs of this will be the mower engine surging up and down and eventually wont stay running. I keep three type diaphragm's for the different Horsepower motors in my garage. They are only a couple bucks each and easy to change out. I have solved much of the issue by adding Stabil to cans of gas before using. I was told by small engine repair shop and also my outboard motor mechanic to do this. Its for stabilizing fuel but also they claim neutralizes the effects of the ethanol to rubber parts.

ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  14. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I had a source for non ethanol gas for a while, then they claimed they couldn't get it anymore. When they quit handling it, they did not lower prices, so I suspect they just went for higher profits by switching to cheaper fuel.

Using Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel has seemed to solve the problem with my mower & edger. Just gotta remember to run my line trimmer & chain saw dry when they'll be set up a while.

rando, neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  15. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Here's a link that'll locate many of the sources of ethanol free gasoline. Of course there's also the quart and gallon cans of it available from sources such as Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc under a few different brand names.
    https://www.pure-gas.org/

neophyte and K75RT like this.
  16. I use a product called "Sea Foam" in CT all of the normal gas outlets are with ethanol...ethanol and 2-cycle isn't conducive to happiness. I mix a gallon of 93 octane with a quantity of Sea Foam and
    Golden Spectro pre-mix oil...work like a charm....in my 4 cycle engines I use Sea Foam and a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil...

neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  17. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    People raise cane over paying $3.00 plus a gallon for gasoline yet think nothng of paying from over $4.00 up to $7.00 for one of these cans of fuel.
    [​IMG]

If your not going to use much more than 10 gallons of fuel a year in a chain saw string trimmer leaf blower make your own non ethnol gasoline.
    Several Youtubes with information how to make from a couple liters to 5 gallons at a whack.

Al

neophyte, ChaZam and rando like this.
  18. rando

Maryland
    Al I buy those cans of fake fuel I call it. Thing is I dont use much as I only use it in Chain saws and Weed whackers.

neophyte, ChaZam and jwrauch like this.
  19. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

The closest ethanol free gasoline, to me, is on the far side of downtown Longview, Tx & I'm not gonna fight those traffic lights & east Texas drivers for it!:eek:

I'll check out the gallon cans of it at Ace Hardware & maybe the premixed stuff that you folks talk about.:p

Today, pulled the plug - okay (probably doesn't have over 4 hours on it), washed air filter sponge, pulled muffler & cleaned it as well as the spark arrester screen. We'll see how it goes tomorrow with some Sea Foam added.:)

20. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Folks, I don't know if this is available everywhere but some (not all) Citgo stations sell ethanol free gas.
    I buy that for my gas cans. Then I put Stabil in them.