close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chamber Reaming Questions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rustler, Apr 3, 2002.

1. rustler

rustler G&G Newbie

I have three military rifles I have built up from parts w/o their original bolts - two SA Garands and one 03A3. None of the bolts will close on the headspace GO guage, and I have been informed I may be dealing with a new barrel on the 03A3 and the different replacement barrels on the two Garands.
    Is chamber reaming to increase headspace within the abilities of the informed tinkerer, and what tools would I need? Can the adjustments be made with the receivers attached to the barrels, or do the barrels need to be removed first?
    Where could I find the necessary tools to do the job?
    I'd appreciate any help I can get.

John O

2. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Rustler the only tid bit I can throw in there is you can rent the reamers out of Shot Gun News . I would also think you would want a smith to do the reaming because there isn't hard to cut out to much. The only time I 've seen it done the smith had a jig set up to give a measurement as he recut the chamber. Hope this helps ya.

3. Rustler: Jack O be right. Keep your head"literly" and have the local smithy do the job for you, for safty reasons. Chambering & reaming are not tinkering jobs. Won't cost an arm or leg to use a smith, but, could cost you a lot if you don't, "by cracky.

4. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

The " by cracky" statement brings back childhood memories of my daddy saying it. Haven't heard him say it in years. Thanks ya'll

5. Unless you're REALLY serious about 'smithing have a pro do the reaming. Too easy to seriously screw up. Besides, good reamers are expensive and you'll need a "pull" reamer for the Garand, which really gets pricey.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

6. rustler

rustler G&G Newbie

I appreciate the help and I'll take the advice. I have a June 44 Garand receiver at the local gunsmith having a barrel put on it and I just wondered if I could do the others without spending a fortune.