Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I want to add a Tapco collapsible stock to my yugoslavian SKS. However, this whole "ten or less compliance rule" confuses the heck outta me. So, In order for me to have this wonderful looking stock attached to my rifle, what do I have to do. So far Ive come to the following conclusion, please let me know if I am missing anything or If I can go about it another way.

Add American gas piston and operating rod.
Add American magazine (non detachable since I live in NJ)

Or should I remove the bayonet and grenade launcher. I kind of dont want to go about it this way since it will involve cutting, grinding and manipulation, all of which I am not good at. Also, if I remove the bayonet, would I have to cut off the lug too?

The Tapco adjustable stock contains 3 compliance parts, the stock, handguard and pistol grip FYI.

When replacing the parts, do certain parts count as more than 1. IE, the magazine counting as 2 points, and the bayonet as 3 or something like that. I cant remember.

Is there anything I am missing? Anything I should go about diffrently?

Thanks for the information in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if anyone can provide me information on where to get a 10 rd non-detachable magazine for my SKS it would be appreciated.

Also, how do I go about removing the grenade launcher? Do i have to cut it off, or is there a screw, bolt, hinge etc that I can release?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
There is a sticky at the top of this forum that addresses the legal stuff.
My advice?....don't do any of the stuff you're looking to do. You're gonna end up with a ruined rifle. The SKS is an excellent rifle best left alone, as most in here will tell you.
You could get everything you're wanting by buying another rifle already configured how you want ti for probably less money and certainly less aggravation.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
To get a "wonderful looking stock" on your SKS rifle, you're in luck. One usually comes attached to the rifle and is included in the sticker price.

To use the Tapco T6, which is an improvement over similar attempts in the past, you are correct about the parts you need to replace. See the sticky in this forum. I will be personally offended if you do not. :p You'll find that the magazine contributes three parts to the count and replacing a complete mag will take care of three parts. With a US made stock set, op rod, and piston, your parts count is good and you can keep your grenade launcher and bayonet.

If you need a 10 round fixed mag for an SKS, I think I still have one. May have more too, I'll check.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Don't put an aftermarket stock on your rifle. I know from experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do not doubt the fact that the SKS is an excellent rifle left alone. Thats why im still deciding on the whole stock thing. I just want to be sure Im doing it right if i intend to.

battlerifleG3, Ive read your thourough sticky post about SKS rifles and I thank you for that clarification. It cleared up alot

sks forever, what problems have you had? what stock did you use? and nice avatar. "my name is otto, i like to get blotto" haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
The T6 looks awesome and I would love to see one with a 30 rounder installed. This is a new stock so comparing it with others wont do....who has one of these?

New version have the undercut for the bayo, was going to drop the bayo and put a bipod there anyway, at least you have the option.

My photochop:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I used an ATI folding stock, the same one you want to use. It is a cheap piece of junk that has lots of play. The rifle does not fit snug and it has an all around cheap feel to it. It may look cool, but you WILL loose accuracy in the trade off with your origninal stock. The only stocks I'd consider would be made of wood or a nice black monte carlo but the synthetic monte carlo stocks are also made cheaply so you'll run into the same problems. I have lots of SKS and I bought every aftermarket part available as a project for a Yugo and ounce I put it all on, I took that rife and sold it because it was ruined. DON''T buy aftermarket SKS parts, they suck. The only thing worth buying is the leapers scope mount set-up.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have to admit that is a sharp looking rifle. Looks like it is of decent quality. How does it shoot with the 30 round mag?

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
There are a lot of SKS's out there at the gun shows with folding stocks.I think your best bet would be to get one of those with a receipt showing that you obtained it that way,you will then be covered as the law says that YOU can't change it to that configuration.
Enjoy.:kinky: :nod:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
90 bucks for a stock is a good chunk of change. I like that collapsable stock pic you got, but I couldn't justify spending 90 dollars on an SKS stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my T6 for $70 at a show, I recall they were 60 when 1st came out. Now the newer ones will be camo and OD, expect 100 for those lol.

What blows me away I caould have already bought another SKS with the money I spent on "cool stuff"

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I know the feeling, but whatcha gonna do? I should have an AK47 by now, but I spent a bunch of money of an awful stock and all kinds of other crap. Now I'm debating to sell one of my SKSes in order to get an AK47. :kinky:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes the WASR-10 looks real good now for $319 at AIM, I heard the SKS was a gateway drug and now I know why, I would also like to add an unissued Yugo someday

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I hear that dude!! Once you get into the 7.62 x.39, all rifles are addicting. Which ones you got?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I wanted to change some things on my SKS also but I'm afraid to tangle with gun laws so it stays as is except for bayo removal and wood refinishing. Even the bayo removal makes me nervous though. SKSs are strange guns. They have a stigma connected to them don't they?

·
Registered
417 Posts
i have to disagree with the people that discourage getting aftermarket parts. i recently put a chaote dragunov stock on my yugo and it fits perfect. there is no give and they even give you a shim so it will fit the short paratrooper version. i also bought a 5rd detachable mag and with a little customization i got it cycling 100%. and although its a step down from the 10rd fixed mag i dont mind. if you need 10 shots to take down a deer you shouldnt be hunting. when i first shot my rifle with the american made parts it didnt shoot. the 7.62x39 ammo i got from my friends dad didnt shoot the first shot. i recocked it and it shot but did not eject the shell. it turns out the ammo didn't work right. when i put the ammo in that i just bought it worked fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts