Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Charter Arms .38 that was given to my wife many years ago. She was told at that time it was a junk gun and just leave it in the car in case she needed it but don't do a lot of shooting with it as it would probably fall apart.

I don't think he was talking about that specific gun but Charter Arms in general. What is the general census of the weapon? Serial No is 585XX

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,688 Posts
I've a .44 bulldog by Charter 2000, new a year ago or so. I did have a failure of the cylinder screw (which locks the gun up when it fails) after around 500 rounds, but the customer service was first rate and they fixed the gun up right away. No problems after this, but only about 60 or 70 rounds fired since.

The gun is "rough around the edges" and has not so good of a DA trigger pull (SA is fine). I wouldn't classify the frame as strong. Reasonably durable, but more of a shoot moderately and carry alot type of piece. But it's also very accurate and a powerhouse. Bottom line is OK carry gun for the $ and caliber. For me, good knock about and carry gun.

I wouldn't shoot +Ps in their older .38's, but don't think it would fall apart either with standard pressure rounds. I'd take it out and shoot it to see. Haven't heard alot of negatives about the earlier undercovers. Charter's been up and down thru their history; maybe on an "up" period now.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
My Dad carried one just like that for maybe 20 years except it had synthetic grips. I cleaned it for him about every other year. This usually involved flushing out the lint, seeds, and other misc. stuff out with a can of WD-40. I don't know how, but it always worked flawlessly as it still does.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
I bought one new in the early eighties, I shot and carried it a lot and never had a problem. my favorite load for it is 3.8gr. of Bullseye under a 158gr. lswc bullet. the only problem that I did have however is that the women in my life have always laid claim to it. one of them has it now.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
dont know anything about it but wanted to interject and say that for some reason i realy like the look of that grip not sure why just do....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just happened to look at the cover of my copy of IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME by Massad F. Ayoob. There is a picture of one just like it. He is supposed to be one of the experts so I guess if he chose to put one on the cover it must be a decent weapon.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL

Two feets they come a creepin
like a black cat do
and two bodies are layin' naked.
Creeper think he got nothin' to lose.
So he creeps into this house, yeah
and unlocks the door
and as a man's reaching for his trousers
shoots him full of thirty-eight holes.

It's the Saturday night special
got a barrel that's blue and cold
ain't good for nothin
but put a man six feet in a hole

Big Jim's been drinkin' whiskey
and playin' poker on a losin' night
and pretty soon ol' Jim starts a thinkin
somebody been cheatin' and lyin'.
So big Jim commence to fightin',
I wouldn't tell you no lie.
Big Jim done pulled his pistol,
shot his friend right between the eyes.

got a barrel that's blue and cold
ain't good for nothin

Hand guns are made for killin',
they ain't no good for nothin' else.
And if you like to drink your whiskey
you might even shoot yourself.
So why don't we dump 'em people
to the bottom of the sea
before some ol' fool come around here,
wanna shoot either you or me.

you got a barrel that's blue and cold
you ain't good for nothin

It's the saturday night special
and I'd like to tell you what you could do with it
and that's the end of the song

- Edward King & Ronnie Van Zant

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Owned one myself that was foolishly sold off many years back never had a complaint with mine and still wish it was back in my gun cabinet.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL

It's the saturday night special
and I'd like to tell you what you could do with it
and that's the end of the song

- Edward King & Ronnie Van Zant
Note: They later recanted and atoned for their sins with the song "Give me back my Bullets."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pachmayr Compac grips and shoot it with reasonable 38 spl ammo.

Just my opinion but the factory grips SUCK and make the gun uncontrollable for me.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Note: They later recanted and atoned for their sins with the song "Give me back my Bullets."
You can't take back something as shameful as that song. That's like pretending the infamous "Ruger Letters" don't exist! :slap:

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I've owned Charter Arms guns off and on since 1967. Never had an issue with any of'em. The are inexpensive but they are NOT saturday night special by any means. Most of the dissenters have never owned one and never shot one.

If your wife wants to sell that so-called "piece of junk" let me know I'd be interested in it. I owned one just like it many years ago...wish I didn't have the need to sell it.

I currently own a Charter Pug .357 mag and a .22lr Pathfinder on which I just recently had a .22 magnum cylinder fitted...both are good quality concealable weapons, BUT the .357 2-in is definately a bear and it's ported!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have two charters currently, both new manufacture. The 38 has slightly loose chambers, which is hard on my brass. Don't know what to say about that.

The 44 special is my new daily carry.

Both function fine, and I have no concerns trusting the 44 to work when I need it.

Reactions: jerry

·
Registered
486 Posts
All Charter Arms made in Shelton, Ct are guaranteed for life and the warranty transfers with the gun, not only that, they will send you a new washer if you need to remove the crane for cleaning.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
Nah, that song was about music, using the term "bullet" in place of notes. Van Zant said it was the follow up to Workin' for MCA another song about how the record company did business.

That's what all the talk about pencil pushers and business is about in that song.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
Nah, that song was about music, using the term "bullet" in place of notes. Van Zant said it was the follow up to Workin' for MCA another song about how the record company did business.

That's what all the talk about pencil pushers and business is about in that song.
I always heard that the "bullets" referred to their place on the Billboard charts and whether they were expected to go higher. 9as per the following quote from songfacts.com.
"According to Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington in a 1992 Goldmine interview, this song is about the bullets Billboard charts use to signify a song is moving quickly up the chart. If a song is "#12 with a bullet," it is at #12 but will probably go higher next week. Skynyrd had not had a hit in a while and this was a message that they wanted to get back on the charts."

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
I always heard that the "bullets" referred to their place on the Billboard charts and whether they were expected to go higher. 9as per the following quote from songfacts.com.
"According to Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Gary Rossington in a 1992 Goldmine interview, this song is about the bullets Billboard charts use to signify a song is moving quickly up the chart. If a song is "#12 with a bullet," it is at #12 but will probably go higher next week. Skynyrd had not had a hit in a while and this was a message that they wanted to get back on the charts."
That works too.

Either way it wasn't supposed to be about ammo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts