Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if anyone out there has tried the pink Charter Arms 5 shot 38 geared towards women. If so, what did you think? I personally like Charter Arms, but things change fast.
My significant other shoots with me a lot, likes her 38's a whole lot, and really wants a pink purse gun. Any input would be appreciated on this piece.

Charter Pink Lady #53830

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Can't help you out on that particuliar gun, but from what I have seen of it on the internet, it appears to be a good revolver to carry b/c of its compact size. I, myself favor semi-automatics, but there are enough women (and men with wives/girlfriends) on this site to give you feedback and the information you seek.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,573 Posts
My wife liked how it looked -- think it's a marketing idea like the blue tauruses. But maybe I'll get her one if she likes it (she already has sp-101 though).
For me, Charter's a tough call. I have a relatively new Charter 44 special bulldog from the charter 2000. It's very accurate and a powerhouse and easy to carry and shoot with the grips. Great Big Bore CCW piece. The DA trigger was terrible when I bought it (SA was OK). Good belly gun, but after 500 or so rounds the screw which pushes the cylinder pin forward failed, effectively disabling the gun (the gun now thinks the cylinder is open and is locked up). I sent it in for repair which Charter did promptly and fixed the DA trigger so now it's OK. I have only very good things to say about their customer service. But I'll need to put some more rounds through it before I can trust it for a CCW piece again. Maybe 500's alot for the little gun, but I didn't shoot many Cor-bons or Glazers through it and feel it shouldn't have had this problem. It could well be mine was an isolated case--in any case I'd probably read a few reviews before jumping in.

Then again, if she likes it, for 400 bucks you can't go wrong !!!

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
That's one of them there "PRETTY GUNS" they's all talking about here lately...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
Saw one at the local gun shop. The owner, Scott, says he can't keep them in stock; he buys one or two and they're gone in a week. I can't say I like those pink pearlescent grips at all; it puts me in mind of the slime the F/X people used to creat the Blob in the remake of The Blob. But apparently women like the look. And considering I shoot a two-tone Llama .45, there's no accounting for taste and I can't throw stones.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
I showed it to my wife, who's never gone shooting with me. She says oooooooh, I like that, gonna get it for me. I said don't be surprised if I do now. Hell, anything to get her into shooting and going with me. lol Not to mention it's the perfect round for it, and her...

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. It is a little concerning you had a Charter Arms fail after 500 rounds; hopefully an isolated incident but I will hold off at least until the next show (2 weeks) to do a little more research then.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,573 Posts
I'm going to go shoot it again today (first time since repaired)--I'll let you know how it performs.

After 60 rounds thru fixed gun no glitches. DA trigger better but still leaves something to be desired. Big bullets, though ! No functional problems, and screw is still tight.

This gun is WAY accurate for a snubby !

Maybe check out some other sources and make your decisions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pink Lady

If you do not intend to pile a lot of ammo through the gun, just carry for personal defense, OK. Make sure that the crane, locking lug, ejector pin and associated screws are of good steel and not alloy. Pocket pistols of this size are sometimes made with lighter material in certain areas for ease of carry, sacrificing longevity. The last thing you want in a panic is for it to go click and not bang!!!!!

If you do not intend to pile a lot of ammo through the gun, just carry for personal defense, OK. Make sure that the crane, locking lug, ejector pin and associated screws are of good steel and not alloy. Pocket pistols of this size are sometimes made with lighter material in certain areas for ease of carry, sacrificing longevity. The last thing you want in a panic is for it to go click and not bang!!!!! Also look closely at the hammer notch in the frame and thickness of any alloys present. There are other things but that may help.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shotbreak: Loading for this girl is a lot of work. I am assuming whatever I buy her will get shot a lot. Especially since she is looking for a carry weapon, I would assume she would be practicing with it frequently.

Do these have a tendency to not hold up under heavy use?

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,573 Posts
Please look at sources other than me, but I would lean toward this brand as a "carry alot, shoot somewhat" type of pistol. If I were going to be shooting thousands of rounds thru the gun, I'd go for a ruger or maybe smith. I like my bulldog, but have my doubts that (even if my finances would permit it !) it would stand up to a few thousand rounds. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BaserRonin

I would recommend Pink Lady for carry/shoot a little. If she really likes to shoot, see if you can dig up a used S&W mod. 10, 4" Military & Police. A good used one should not cost over $150.00 and there are many of them around. They are sturdy as hell. Hold steady. Make a great training weapon, and should fire more ammunition than she will ever want. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?
I am a retired Master Armorer/Firearms Instructor with 30+ years experience. Have fixed them all, and broke some too. She can beat the S&W pretty hard and not tire it out. Good luck.

One more thing. If you are not familiar with the guts of the S&W. They are simple to work on and easy to maintain. A manual from S&W and you are practically a gun smith.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a collector I like to buy the odd guns. I have 2 pik guns so far that recenty came out.
The taurus PT111 Pro pistol in stainless and pink plastic frame. Packs 12 rounds in the clip of 9mm.
The other is Charter Arms the Pink Lady. The pink anodized frame is very well done and compliments the silver finish of the screws, barrel and cylinder. Has a really nicely padded black grip which sould help tame the light 12 OZ 38Sp 5 shot (+P)
As to how they shoot...I will never know. I am Just a Collector, no desire to shot them.

They are really hard to find and exclusive but are out there.

Rog

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish we had concealed carry in wisconsin so I had an excuse to buy something like that. even if i didn't carry...lol.... a student group here actually wore empty holsters to class in protest but i think i missed out on it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wish we had concealed carry in wisconsin so I had an excuse to buy something like that. even if i didn't carry...lol.... a student group here actually wore empty holsters to class in protest but i think i missed out on it.
Yeah that was the Students for Concealed Carry group that did the empty holster protest. 30,000 members, my wife and I are two of them. as far as the pink lady, i held one at the local pawn shop (they have transitioned to new guns more than used because they cant get many used ones anymore). It felt nice in the hand but the only thing I worried about for a purse gun for the wife was the hammer. Im afraid she might catch it on something in the purse. I think a hammerless pink lady would be more than ideal but Charter Arms wouldn't mention if that is in the works or not.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
They've come a long way that group has. Good for them. Those are youth we can be proud of.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Charter Arms

I work at a gun shop and have some experience with Charter. I fully agree with the carry/shoot only a little judgement. Charter Arms don't seem to hold up well under a lot of firing. We've special ordered two of the .38's for our customers and both of them had to go back on warranty repairs. One had a faulty firing pin, lots of clicking, no banging. The second one had a bad ejector. Both had to go back to Charter, and both have been/are in the process of being fixed. Charter seems to be aware of the fact that their guns don't hold up under high volumes of firing, so they've got fairly good and timley customer service. All of this aside though, I'm willing myself to go through the gauntlet of issues to buy one of these firearms for myself. They may not be the most durable firearm on the market, but they'll gladly repair anything that goes awry with it, so I'll be purchasing a Pink Lady shortly. I'll have to return at that point and give a full review of the firearm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know specifically about the Pink Lady, but I work at a gun shop where we've gotten a couple of the other .38's in for customers, and I will say both had to go back for repairs. Judging by what others are saying here, I would say that Charter firearms shouldn't be fired a great deal, unless you're fully aware of the fact that it may malfunction. The two we had to send back, one had a faulty firing pin. Lot's of clicking, no banging. The other one had a faulty ejector. Now, I will say that Charter is very thorough when repairing the firearms, and they're more than happy to do it, it's just the fact that you may have to jump through these hoops to get a fully functional firearm. On a side note, I myself am going to purchase the Pink Lady shortly, and I'll return and post a full review of the firearm at that time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own one

Hello,

I bought this pistol for self defense. Took it out to the range and shot it....good feel for what it is and the grip is pretty nice. The price is right, too. I have previously owned a S&W 38 and 45. This is a very light small gun, easy to carry as it fits in a small belt holster or in the butt pocket of you jeans. But guys remember, no handgun feels right to a woman who has never shot one! And being pink doesn't make it any less scary to a novice :shysmile:

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
What they need to make is a purple gun! My wife HATES pink, I rattle-can customized her 30.06, it has purple stock w/checkering left black and purple scope rings. She LOVES it, plus there's no doubt which gun is hers at deer camp! LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts