Charter Arms Professional .32 Mag Review

Discussion in 'Charter Arms' started by jerry, May 15, 2020.

1. OneShotKill

OneShotKill G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    The gunsmith in that video was Bob Dunlap who was the head guy for videos for the American Gunsmith Institute. I read that he passed a few days before Christmas last year. As a hobby I joined their group about 20 years ago, basically they sell videos and a monthly magazine. I dropped out after a few years as they work on everything, and I just had a hobby interest. They sell a book on the Charter Arms, about $35 on Midway. There is so much good info on UTube these days, I do not see much reason to pay for the info. Of course you want to watch several on the same subject as there are some, not so good out there, and the same guys make dozens of them, about stuff they have very little knowledge about.

I own or owned probably 4 dozen DA/SA revolvers and have seen lots of issues and the slow reset is pretty common on a new gun-even Smith and Wesson, just poor milling cleanup and lots of them have metal filings or slivers inside these days.

I have had 3 guns the last decade that had to be sent back to the factory suggesting both sloppy work and poor quality control so I do not blame you for demanding they fix it. Anyway, hope you get it back quick. The few Charters I have owned are good little guns. Gun writer John Taffin who owns many guns, writes that he keeps 3 of the 44 specials in his home, for his house guns. That is all I need to know about them. Enjoy it and post when you have a chance to run a couple hundred round through it.

ChaZam, Jaison, TXplt and 2 others like this.
  2. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

My karma has kind of been through most of my adult life that if there's a failure mode of something I'll find it without really wanting to or really even looking for it. Fortunately it didn't trail me into my professional life but breakage of something (even something of quality with a good track record) is a daily event. Gotten alot of 'never seen that before.' It doesn't matter how well I maintain something either which I'm pretty careful about doing.

So for ANY new gun--Sig to Taurus--or magazine or piece of equipment or even recoil spring change--I never put it into service without test firing it.

The Rugers have held up well. Got an LCR-9 in FL and a .38-snub version up at the farm (I shoot pretty much everything but some of the family folks are revolver only kinda people).

I think you'll be happy with the Charter once it comes back. My bulldog was REALLY accurate; it's only failing was a hard to see front sight (red nail polish solved that only issue being my wife found the bottle and wondered where it came from) and a somewhat gritty DA pull.

Good luck with everything !

K75RT, jerry, neophyte and 1 other person like this.

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I’ve been known to screw up a soup sandwich. It’s common in the end for me to get blamed by the “expert”
    The only new vehicle I ever bought, 88 f150 had a manual trans shift issue early on. Of course took it in. They had to replace synchros in the Mazda trans. Tech swore up and down I rode around with my hand on the stick causing the problem.

I’m hoping charter don’t tell me I’m not holding my tongue right, or I need an additional 3 samples of factory ammo, or worse yet CND.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

jwrauch, K75RT, neophyte and 4 others like this.
  4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Instead of polishing compound, I always use powdered graphite. Sounds to me that the results are probably similar. The only problem that occurred through the years was with a Taurus 65. Repeated dry firing caused the firing pin return spring to stick but the action slicked up well. The firing pin return spring was an easy fix.

neophyte, jerry and ChaZam like this.
  5. jerry

USA
    I have a friend who insist on ground up cigarette ashes and oil.

neophyte, chesterwin and ChaZam like this.
  6. jerry

USA
    E mailed Charter Sunday and got a response today, Monday. Nice lady, she is mailing a UPS label to send gun back.
    This is going to be just fine I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

jwrauch, animalspooker, TXplt and 4 others like this.
  7. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hopefully they get it resolved quickly for you Jerry...

TXplt, K75RT, neophyte and 1 other person like this.
  8. jerry

USA
    Shipping box came today as promised. Got it sent UPS NDA back to Charter. I guess I never paid attention nor stuck too many guns in the shipping / postal system, the label read DESC Finished Machine Parts.

Hope it comes back okay. I think my wife hinted to daughter to buy .32 dies for Father’s Day. :)
    Also need to take a quick road trip to SNS casting for some lead.

graybeard, ChaZam, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  9. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

jerry: Sir; we are following your new adventure:).
    Simple and painless
    (Other than being without)

graybeard, ChaZam, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  10. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Jerry, you are not the only one to suffer from disappointment with a new gun. I just finished boxing up a new Ruger SP101, 4.2" 22LR for return to Ruger. I have to call back to have them authorize UPS pick-up but I will need to hang around waiting for the UPS truck. I bought it 2 weeks ago
    This one has issues with cartridges swelling in the extractor star and locking up the cylinder - doesn't matter what brand or type of ammo I try.
    So back it goes for some remedial work.
    Had a similar issue with a 44 mag SBH a few years ago. That one had a badly munched cylinder ratchet and pawl, and Ruger replaced the entire gun. But so far Ruger has made things right. It's just too bad that of 2 new Rugers I have bought in a couple of years have had to go back.

I hope your experiences with Charter Arms will be successful.
    I had the opportunity to try out a Charter Arms 38 Special this past Sunday. I don't know the exact model but it was aluminum frame and very, very lightweight. The lady that owns it has shot it a lot and asked me if I wanted to try it. (She's a really good shot too. A bit of a "sandbagger" and REALLY good with her Ruger SR9C)
    My first impressions were that it was very comfortable to shoot, despite the lightweight. The DAO trigger was smooth and not too heavy, and the gun was very accurate at 25 yards.

If that is typical of Charter Arms guns, you will have a good gun once you get it back.

graybeard, K75RT, ChaZam and 3 others like this.
  11. jerry

USA
    Thanks for sharing. Hoping for the best for you too. I’m pretty sure they fire post assembly. Sandbagger, now that’s funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    graybeard, ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  12. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

jerry: Junction15: these stories are informative and educational :)
    It sucks!
    But many casual "gleaners" @ GnG can learn from our mishaps-service-vendors issues

I follow closely. (Yes; have had issues) "I" mostly self induced :)

Too:
    The cross section-parallel that take place with us and our reviews
    And
    Reviews are educational :)

13. jerry

USA
    That’s my main reason for posting it sir.
    Even with the hiccup (it happens) charter has been good to work with.

graybeard, Dutch, K75RT and 2 others like this.
  14. jerry

USA
    UPS got er done today. Package delivered approx 1030 Eastern time. Clocks ticking.

graybeard, TXplt, Dutch and 3 others like this.
  15. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

@cooker300, here's the other thread about Jerry's Charter 32 H&R Magnum revolver...

16. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

NW PA
    thanks sir

17. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

NW PA
    jerry sorry to hear the new one has some issues hope they get it right and you have a good shooter.

jerry, graybeard, TXplt and 3 others like this.
  18. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Well the label isn't wrong. Good luck with this one.

chesterwin, ChaZam, jerry and 3 others like this.
  19. jerry

USA
    I recently e mailed my new friend in customer service.
    Charter is having a summer shutdown coming up.
    She said the pro won’t be turned before shutdown, so reading between the lines, second, probly 3rd week of July.
    Making reload plans and moving forward.

ChaZam and Jaison like this.
  20. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Not to stir the pot but mine came back in just a week. Shipped out on a Friday and returned the next Friday. New cylinder, new extractor star, new cylinder pawl, and the report said they fired 32 rounds of CCI ammo through it to check it out.
    Ruger and UPS said a Monday delivery but they dropped it off on Friday.
    My only concern was that the package was laid on the walkway stones at the bottom of my steps and they never requested a signature. But that's on UPS and not Ruger.
    I put about 50 rounds through it as that has been all I have had time for. But it is grouping pretty well, and no binding up. So I'm happy.

Ruger, you should probably beef up your QC department but I thank you for your quick attention to my gun.

rando, ChaZam and jerry like this.