Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a kid, I remember seeing the United Scope ads from Chicago Binocular Co. in every hunting magazine. One in particular always stuck in my mind ... the one below with "that old man" perched on the mountainside with his rifle and mighty United scope. lol

Now that I have become "that old man" and being a lifetime Chicagoan, I thought it fitting I get a United scope for one of my vintage rifles. I picked up this brand new United "Golden Hawk" for lunch money on eBay. Neat little 4X scope.

Poster Font Book Publication Art

Green Trigger Font Publication Office supplies

Font Poster Material property Publication Pattern

Bottle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Wood Tool Wood stain Gas Hardwood

Reflex camera Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so was this old new production? or a reman? any idea the vintage?
NOS. Seller believed it to be late '60's/early '70's. The United scopes of that era were not the clunky looking scopes that Weaver, Lyman and others were making with the small turrets and exposed turret tension screws. They were sleek like modern day scopes and had fixed crosshairs (Image Moving was their designation). It has the fine crosshairs typical of scopes from that era. I picked up a similar (SS Kresge) K-Mart All-Pro that was mid '70's and likely from the same maker in Japan. It has the more modern tapered crosshairs so it's a later one.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Enjoyed checking them out and like to see the prices compared to the present ones of today. Like those more glossy scopes of the 60s-70s. Thanks for sharing the catalog as it brings back memories.
You're most welcome. They advertised heavily in the magazines of the era. Not sure what happened to the company. I ran across their name also on some binocular forums. They imported binoculars made by various Japanese companies branded as United. Some even came from Asahi Pentax. The review of their vintage binoculars found they compared favorably with moderately priced modern ones except for lower contrast due to the single coated lenses of the time.

My little scope is reasonably bright for a 32mm and is pretty decent overall.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
Great post! I have an old Mossberg 144 with a 12X mounted on it! Never looked up the scope maker as it works as designed. They might have been "inexpensive" but they are not a "CHEAP" scope...$70 was roughly equal to
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Circle

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,448 Posts
Great post! I have an old Mossberg 144 with a 12X mounted on it! Never looked up the scope maker as it works as designed. They might have been "inexpensive" but they are not a "CHEAP" scope...$70 was roughly equal to
View attachment 168617
LOL…. Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking when I looked at the time period and prices. 3 years earlier an M1 could be had for 90 bucks and LHOs rifle was around 13 dollars (with optic $20. )

To the OP nice find and congratulations to you ! Great to have a historical optic that works and looks great.

Reactions: K75RT

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL…. Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking when I looked at the time period and prices. 3 years earlier an M1 could be had for 90 bucks and LHOs rifle was around 13 dollars (with optic $20. )

To the OP nice find and congratulations to you ! Great to have a historical optic that works and looks great.
Thanks!

I remember those Klein's Sporting Goods Ads too! That was like reading the holy grail of gun deals. lol

In the early '70's I bought my guns at Woolworths at the Yorktown Shopping Mall in Lombard IL! That was the only Woolworths I knew of that carried guns and they had quite a selection. I bought my Winchester Model 94, Ruger 10/22 and Remington 700BDL 25.06 there in the early '70's. They had all the major brands heavily discounted and also had military surplus rifles galore. My dad bought a Wehrmacht Radam Mauser '98 there too. He was very proud of his Polish heritage and that rifle was his pride and joy having been made in Poland. Who would ever think of Woolworth's and guns today!

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
I have 4x scope of a similar vintage my FIL gave me, it was made in Japan.

It's actually very good, I mounted it on my Rossi .308 and it really worked well.

It's been on my Battered old Norinco 22RF for some years and seems happy there.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Yeah I recall the Woolworth's near me had guns and milsurps in the 80s. Could often get a decent price on good brands like Remington, Marlin, or Savage. Once recall seeing a Rem 700 for under $350 with walnut and the good bluing. Milsurps could be found in a old wooden box in one corner of the sporting goods section.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For years Japanese optics were the epitome of good glass. Something about their sand that made superior glass. I think some of the high end American companies were even importing the raw sand for optics making.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts