Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the vast, vast, vast majority of Glocks do not KB. But when I keep seeing descriptions of the few Glocks that do KB, the chances just don't seem worth it to me. Yes, I know that usually it is a problem with reloaded ammo, or a gun and ammo both not made for each other. Such as 40 Cal Federal brass not made with Glock's large unsupported area in mind. And Glocks made before many improvements.

But I can't see buying a Glock over a Steyr, HK USP, EAA/CZ, or other good and affordable handguns. Except when I note that I have only heard of KB!s in 40 S&W and 45 ACP Glocks, and never in the 9mm or 10mms. Now the original frame Glock was designed, if I understand correctly, before the 40 S&W round. Seems to me 40 S&W was too much of a stretch for it. Hi-Powers in 40 are beefed up, and S&Ws are just plain tough, period. And perhaps 45 was in the large frame, as 10mms seem to have no such problems.

So it leads me to believe that the thinner case for each frame size is the least likely to KB!, leaving the thicker barrel around the chamber for better strength, and less of an unsupported case. Which means I should only consider Glocks in 9mm and 10mm.

Does this reasoning make any sense? I would only consider the 10mm anyway, since there's a zillion 9mms I'd want over a Glock, but not too many people make 10s, and with the Glock's capacity.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,383 Posts
I'm not sure about the KB factor, but if I were to buy a glock, it would be in it's original 9mm configuration. Then again, you right, there are alot of good wondernines out there. The 10 would be cool

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,040 Posts
Well, I'm the odd duck - I like the Glock in .40 S&W!
I just got back from the range, and my buddy Ray - "the Glock Man" - brought his three .40 cal. Glocks out for exercise. I shot the compact (Model 27? - I can never keep all the model numbers straight), but it's too short. My two bottom fingers have no where to go.
The mid-size Model 19 was okay, but nothing to crow about.
Then I shot the long-slide Model 35 - I fell in love with it! It doesn't like Black paper - kept them all in the red! :) I've never seen a service pistol this accurate! It shames my Colt 1911A1.
The ammo used was reloads by Georgia Ammo - they make good stuff. Factory quality. We shot three boxes of ammo, between the three pistols, and never a hitch or bobble.
The 19 and 35 have the ported slides (and original barrels), but Ray has installed the non-ported barrels. Still, recoil is easily managable.

Heaven help me - I may own a Glock yet . . . :rolleyes:
The Model 35 isn't even ugly! At least, not as much as most Glocks. :)

Next week, Ray is bringing the three .45ACP's. He brought the three 9mm's last week. Did I mention - he likes Glocks? :cool:

L

·
0 Posts
I've never had any problem..nor do I know anyone firsthand who has had a KB..I would have no problem carrying or shooting any Glock with any commercially loaded ammunition..I like Glocks alot !.. :target:

L

·
0 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
And perhaps 45 was in the large frame, as 10mms seem to have no such problems.
The 10mm is a high pressure round. If the KB is a real issue, the 10mm would suffer as well. But the truth is most law enforcement agencies across the US have moved to Glock. And the most popular LE round is .40 That's a lot of people carrying and practicing with .40 Glocks.

L

·
0 Posts
the only place I've ever heard of KaBooms is on the internet...some people think they are myths spread around by saboteurs who want to hurt Glocks image :insane: :guitar: :gangster:

L

·
0 Posts
Logansdad said:
the only place I've ever heard of KaBooms is on the internet...some people think they are myths spread around by saboteurs who want to hurt Glocks image :insane: :guitar: :gangster:
I believe that it has happened as those pics are hard to fake. Not impossible, but hard. And as far as I know, Glock acknowledged the problem and promptly fixed it.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lenny2 said:
The 10mm is a high pressure round. If the KB is a real issue, the 10mm would suffer as well. But the truth is most law enforcement agencies across the US have moved to Glock. And the most popular LE round is .40 That's a lot of people carrying and practicing with .40 Glocks.
Absolutely correct, but since the 10mm has a smaller diameter, that leaves more barrel to sustain the pressure. That was the reasoning I was going by.

Yes Glock fixed their problems, and yes the problems were usually due to ammo. But the fact that it happens more to Glocks than others (though that could well be because there are more Glocks out there) makes me not want to take the chance, especially while there are Steyr M40s and Springfield XDs for less money and no question of their strength (with due credit to Glock for pioneering that type of pistol). Thing is though that I have NEVER heard of a Glock in 9mm or 10mm having a KB!, and these are both the lower diameter case for their respective frames.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a G29 that I am rather fond of!!
The rounds are more than expensive here in the desert southwest, though!!!
My 29 is fitted with a kurz conversion barrel. That way, I can get ammo for it from Wallyworld. When the price of 10mm ammo starts to drop (if it ever does) then I'll start to shoot it. As it is, it's to expensive for me to shoot enough to develop any kind of proficiency with the round!!

Thank God for 100rd WWB .40S&W value packs at Walmart!!!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
About three thousand sworn officers in SA carry Glock 22's in 40SW. I have seen a KB, but it was shooter induced. Glock will fire with the slide slightly out of battery. If you limp wrist it or don't rack it back solidly. The results are not pretty.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
the only KB factor i have ever heard of and had proof of was a small flaw that glock took care of with a recall, and that was with the rails pulling out of the frame.

BRG, the 10 mm is made on the same frame as the 45 and 9mm is made on the same frame as th 40.

And like Oneastrix pointed out its more than likely shooter error.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know the frames are the same. My tentative conjecture/conclusion was that there was, with a barrel of the same external dimensions, more metal to hold back the pressure if the cartridge inside was smaller.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
this is true, and you would be totaly right in that line of thinking. my point being i have never heard or seen any case where a glock bbl has failed in any way.

L

·
0 Posts
that KB may have been the reloader's fault Jer..cast bullet..possible double charge :target:

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
That's a whole bunch of BS !!!!!!!!!!!

:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

After close to 10K rnds fired with my G23 (.40 cal), my only problem has been a couple of missfires, I traced them to a worn Lazermax Batery cap.

Other than that, everything has woked right all the time, I got lots of aftermarket parts and I configure my gun depending on my mood, every modification is not permanent, so if I want my Stock Out Of The Box Gun, I can have it in a couple of minutes.

I trust my life with this gun and it's my daily carry, I feel more protected with this gun than with any other handgun.

The design is so good that other manufacturers are cloning the design with minor changes, if it's not that good, then why others are cloning it?

I think that the KB is whole bunch of BS, any gun sujected to excesive presures will KB, I just stick to Quality factory ammo for my baby and it rocks a lot!!!

With the 13 rnd cap mag in the gun and a couple of G22 15 rnd mags as backup, I can have 44 rnds at my disposal, more than enough to resolve any situation.

I usually carry it with the 10 rnd mag, but with the sunset near by, the 13 and 15 rnders will come to my waist very soon!

:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
You are right on the money Mandy!!!! I trust my Glock on duty as well as off. They are awesome! Like I said, the only Glock I ever saw KB was a shooter error! I have owned and still own a Glock 22, 23c (carry), 26, and 27. Have at least ten thousand though the 23c; never a problem. Same goes for the rest with respect to less rounds being fired thru them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts