Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been posted before but you can go here and see the steps in the conversion. Here is the final result.. :gangster:

I want to know how he did that camo job!!! Thats awsome!!!

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
While I can't wait to buy my first SKS, and while I love what the guy did to the gun, for $150 more you could build an AR-15 with the same accessories, and better accuracy. If I went out to buy a used SKS-D right now, I'd pay what, atleast $425? For another $100 I could build an AR on a brand new lower and a used upper. The rear sight would cost a little more, but everything else would be the same. Not trying to start a flame war, just pointing out that I disagree with the whole "inexpensive" part when you start out with an almost $500 gun. Now, if he had started with a really nice $200 SKS, that would be a different story. If you agree or not, as I said, thats just the way I feel. Nice find Ifly, that gun is still really cool.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's just an SKK with a synthetic stock, a red dot sight and a torch stuck on it, what's so cool about that. My dad used to have one like that until the gun bans and it was a POS. (well his didn't have the torch on it) But you couldn't hit a dang thing with it, that's why they've got 30 shot magazines.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Goes to show ya. You can polish a turd & it's still a turd, LOL
Just kidding iflylow74, everyone has different taste. It's cool looking. If it shoots 1/2 as good as it looks It'd be awesome.

It's a Romanian BTW, know how ya can tell?

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
I like SKS's,but that looks like an AK wanna-be. ;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have found out through trial and error with my own two sks that the best way to have it set up is with iron sights and a ten round fixed mag with plenty of chargers within reach. This may not look the coolest, but it is by far the most reliable way and more than effective at intermidiate ranges (100-400 yards, somtimes farther if yer steady) on man sized targets.

·
Registered
999 Posts
OK I give up, how can ya tell it's romanian. (it says it's a norinco with a albanian bolt carrier)norinco is chinese I think?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I totally agree that an SKS is greatest in stock condition. If I were to accessorize, it would be in the marksmanship department, not the failed attempt at a cheaper AK. AKs really aren't that expensive when you compare to all the less than functional accessories for the SKS.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
**** said:
OK I give up, how can ya tell it's romanian. (it says it's a norinco with a albanian bolt carrier)norinco is chinese I think?
oops, lack of sleep.I keyed in on the bolt handle which looks distinctly albanian (AK style), back to sleep now,LOL

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since this is an SKS-D and is set up from the factory to use these mags it should be reliable. And yes, you could get an AK at the same price but some people simply don't like the way an AK feels. As far as getting a budget AR, well I suppose you could but will that budget AR be as reliable as as SKS? Plus in my state you can't deer hunt with the 5.56.

That said, I'll take a lever action 357. In fact I did. :D

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Only reason I see for an SKS over an AK for purposes of feel is if you must have a one piece stock. Most people who dislike AKs do so over one or two bad experiences with the worst specimens. There are many quality makes and ways to improve feel, such as different furniture, recoil buffers, and such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, took a little while to get registered.

Noticed the thread here through my referrer logs, and have been itching to chime in here. You see, thats my rifle.

With respect to the discussion let me clear up a few facts. The rifle is a new Norinco SKS-D, purchased for $200CDN (approx $160 USD), the modifications made cost about $175CDN (under $150USD) all in, with the bulk of that being spent on the Tech-sight rear aperature and the red-dot sight. Total project cost was about $375CDN.

As AKs are strictly verboten up here, the SKS really seemed the best option for a project of this kind, the low cost of surplus 762x39mm really settled the matter.

The stock was cut and paste easy, and is documented here. Hardly high tech, but gets the job done.

It's no tack driver, but how much accuracy was I expecting from an SKS?

In the end am I happier with this SKS than any standard SKS? Nah not really, but they say getting there is half the fun, and this was an interesting experiment with some of the many aftermarket parts that are available out there. There is a certain element of pride as it's a unique looking example of an SKS when I pop by the local range as well...

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Personally, I see no real advantage to the AK or AR over the lowly SKS. They all have their pros and cons. The AR is much more accurate but shoots an inferior round. The AK is he ll for tough and near impossible to stop but is saddled with a crappy safety and mediocre accuracy at best, but, has removable mags. The SKS is between the two in accuracy but has the advantage of better stopping power, has excellent reliability, and can be reloaded just as quickly as either of the other two. If you move up to the select-fire versions of the AK or AR then all of these arguments are pretty well nullified. Mugwug, congrats on a job well done!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Give me a G3 or a FAL over an AK, SKS, or AR any day of the week. That said, I own an AR I've been nothing but disappointed with, a L1A1 I like but don't feel strongly about, an Albanian still packed in cosmoline, and a Romanian that is the best $100 gun I've ever bought(12in at 300m with ironsights).

That said, I'd never spend a lot of money on the Romanian. I don't think theres much more I can do for it. It is getting a synthetic stock simply because I don't like feeling greasy when I'm done shooting it. It may get a folding stock just for making it convenient to keep in the truck. SKS's are good cheap guns, but I don't think they have much potential beyond that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pred said:
While I can't wait to buy my first SKS, and while I love what the guy did to the gun, for $150 more you could build an AR-15 with the same accessories, and better accuracy. If I went out to buy a used SKS-D right now, I'd pay what, atleast $425? For another $100 I could build an AR on a brand new lower and a used upper. The rear sight would cost a little more, but everything else would be the same. Not trying to start a flame war, just pointing out that I disagree with the whole "inexpensive" part when you start out with an almost $500 gun. Now, if he had started with a really nice $200 SKS, that would be a different story. If you agree or not, as I said, thats just the way I feel. Nice find Ifly, that gun is still really cool.

What crack head gave you those prices for an SKS?

I bought mine new for 80 bucks at a gun show sometime back and I can hit anything with it. See the owner of a gun knows his gun, knows how it shoots and will be accurate with it no matter what.

I think the gun looks pretty darn cool and is giving me ideas on how to fix mine up. And at the end of the day, so what if it doesnt look good, it was only a 80 dollar rifle and I can take accessories off and use them on another gun.

I'd rather have a 80 dollar SKS than a 500.00 AR-15 :) because I can pretty much guarantee you the SKS will be more reliable than a 500.00 AR

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Well, for starters, show me an SKS-D that I can buy for $80(thats in good shape) and I'll throw in a $20 finders fee for you. You do realize that the SKS used by that guy is not a Yugo right? Not some $79.97 surplus rifle. I think you need to re-read my post because you have no clue as to what I meant by it. My whole point was that I disagreed with the owner of that gun when he said he build an inexpensive firearm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pred said:
My whole point was that I disagreed with the owner of that gun when he said he build an inexpensive firearm.
As stated, the rifle cost about $375CDN +/- when it was all said and done. Considering the cost of some of the rifles in my cabinet, I think thats fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Hey, with Canada completely prohibiting the AK, mods to the SKS start to make a lot more sense. Welcome, Mugwug!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mugwug, welcome to G&G!! Im in the process of copying your paint job on my sks(hope ya dont mind!). BTW, I love your blog!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts