close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Checking a serial number??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BBB, Mar 27, 2002.

1. BBB

BBB G&G Newbie

I am attempting to become the owner of a beautiful M1A. I would like to check the serial number of the gun before purchasing to make sure there is no shady history. Can I do this without taking the gun to a shop or involving anyone else?

Thanks in advance for the help.

BBB

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

If you know anyone in law enforcement (a friend) it's not a problem to get them to run it. Beyond that I really don't know. Some other board members may know more about how to check the S#'s without going through any "middleman". I'm sure some dealers have faced the same cirumstances about a firearm's "history". Wish you the best...

Jesse

3. Try calling Springfield

Although they can't tell you what happened after the sale they can tell you how it left the factory. I know when I had my shotgun stolen from Kingsburry IN, I called Mossgerg and everyone else who cared and even those that didn't.

Here's a suggestion for a thread or even new topic:

Listing the manufacturer and S/N's of stolen guns...
    Maybe the ATF could populate it with thier info. so us law abiding shooters could stay out of the shady guns that are most likely sold in bars....

If you complete the transaction, get the paperwork with his info.
    It's one thing to have a controban gun taken, it is another to have you taken for being in posession of a stolen fire arm...