close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Checking out M14s

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 2, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I have a friend who's thinking about some day getting an M14/M1a, and I'm wondering what's to know. I'm vaguely familiar with the differences between the Chi-Coms and the domestic ones. Is there a distinct difference between Fed Ordnance, Springfield, and others? I've recently seen a pre-ban Fed for 1000ish, and my friend would probably want a pre-ban. Any functional differences between pre and post ban? Do any new ones come with bayonet lug OR flash hider, as opposed to the older ones with both? And can any still be loaded with strippers?

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i'm not going to start any battle here over what is best, but 1000ish for a fe.ord. is way too much try halfish of that figure. some swear by their choice and some wear at them, try to arrange for a test fire, and see how it is.

3. BattleRifleG3

From what I've seen out there, that seems like a good price. I sometimes get the feeling people on here are going by the prices that things used to be. I did once see a pre-ban M14 for $800, but its stock was kind of old and messy.

4. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

The only difference between a post and pre-ban Springfield M1-A is the post-ban does not have a bayonet lug.And if you get one get a Springfield by the time you fix up a chi-com or a fed-ord you would have more than payed for a Springfield.Prices start at about 1,150.00 new and go up...

5. My chicom doesn't need any "fixing up",it works flawlessly as is.......

6. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I would run from any Fed Ord rifle .

Best choices are get a Chi-Com receiver & have a rifle built on it with USGI parts .

Or get a SA , Inc. M1A .

On a pre-ban M1A , I think you get the bayo lug .

Wyr
    God Bless

7. BattleRifleG3

What's wrong with Fed Ord?

8. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

only thing i know of thats wrong with fed ord is lack of snob appeal!!!i have a SA inc M1a, bought back in the mid 70's. i have seen a few chi/coms at the local gun shows they looked ok but they were pretty banged up and over priced IMHO. but i wouldn't hesitate if i found a deal on one!!!!:nod:

9. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

have heard that the chinese guns don't hold up well due to soft recievers but i think that fulton armory and smith enterprises offer packages including heat treating the recievers that is supposed to bring them on par w/U.S. guns.

10. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

They made copies of the 03 ( or 03A3 ) & I think , Carbine , M-14 & do not know what else .

None are suspose to be as good as the reak thing .

Read Jerry K.'s view of the Fed Ord M14 .

Wyr
    God
    Bless

11. Think about it.Fulton tells you the chinese rifles are unsafe and that they just happen to be able to fix it...for 1000 dollars! What crap!The chicoms are very good guns.If they were unsafe there would be a body count by now!:rolleyes: