Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help ID'ing a Chek/Yugo 98K, it has the crest on the top ring and the "producze44" on the left side right next to the orgional "Mod 98" stamp. how can I find out where and when this rifle was made? Since the orgional markings are gone? The book I have is sort of "grey" on this one. Also has anyone shot much of the "Turk" surplus ammo that has flooded the market? If so, how hard is it to clean up after?

:target:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
what you have is an original ww2 german k98k that was taken and may or may not have been refurbished by the yugoslavians.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have fired a couple hundred rounds of the Turk surplus and have not found it to be particularly "dirty". It is corrosive, of course; I just clean the rifle appropriately after firing. I have done some limited cleaning of some of the cases prior to firing at times....the brass can show its age; and, perhaps less than optimal storage during the years can make for some ugly brass.

Actually, now that I think about it (assuming that my memory is working tonight), that Turk surplus was on the cleaner side by comparison, as far as residue and fouling goes.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,465 Posts
The Turk ammo is generally a bit hotter than other types, but no problem for a rifle in good condition. It'll let you know you've shot it though! I use a slip-on recoil pad for the Mausers.

Preduzece was the factory where the Yugo Mausers were made/refurbed. The M48/M48A were made there - got it stamped on my M48A.
The Yugo-refurbed Kar98k's are half the price of the "Russian-captures" on the market now, and just as good from the shooting standpoint. They just have the WaffenAmts scrubbed.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Pulled some turk ammo apart, reweighed power and replaced turk bullets with new 150 grain sp. Got excellent groups. FYI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts