close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chevy Avalanche 2500

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by aris_unlimited, Feb 13, 2018.

1. aris_unlimited

aris_unlimited G&G Evangelist

This is a public service announcement. Never, under any circumstances buy a 3/4 ton avalanche.

I've had mine for about 8 months, it has 144k miles on it. In those 8 months I have replaced/repaired:
    -2 oil cooler lines
    -4 transmission cooler lines (yep, 4)
    -4 power steering lines (again, really 4)
    -power steering cooler
    -1 pair lower control arm bushings
    -all 4 ball joints
    -both outer the rod ends
    -power steering gear box
    -power steering pump
    -pitman and idler arm
    -maf sensor

And now I'm being told the front diff needs to be rebuilt. It's leaking, and apparently the axle seals are so bad to get, you might as well rebuild it while in there.

This is all the stuff I've had to fix over what I consider to be routine maintenance. I'm not including brakes, oil changes, tune up, u-joints (and driveshaft balancing).

I've never had any luck with Chevys (this is my 5th). I like them, they just don't seem to like me! I'm starting to feel like this is something personal lol.

Anyhow, just needed to vent for a bit and hopefully convince you folks not to buy one. Unless of course you want mine (dang near brand new at this point)!

rando, PAPA G, blaster and 1 other person like this.
  2. They cursed it by naming it after a disaster.

Wicked109, cjleete, billy and 6 others like this.

3. BudW

BudW G&G Evangelist

I had one never a problem, wish I would have kept it

jwrauch and PAPA G like this.
  4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

I disliked that vehicle the very first time I saw it, and I have always LIKED Chevy trucks!

billy and PAPA G like this.
  5. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

sorry to hear your woes. I have never had much luck with GM trucks or vans. I've had a few (bought used.) I usually buy what ever I can afford when I am needing a vehicle, it don't matter the make. if its what I want/need and I think its worth it, I'll buy it. when I get through with a vehicle it is usually sold for scrap. I run em till they fall apart.:D the salt air down here helps too. I have had my best luck with Fords.

6. goat roper

goat roper G&G Evangelist

I have a 1995 Silverado 4X4 extended cab with over 275,000 miles on it. Other than typical maintenance things like brakes, belts, tires, and blower motor, I changed the leaky intake manifold gaskets about 100,000 miles ago. Guess the older trucks are better. Think I'll keep it.
    Verne

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

HMMMMMMMM, made in Silao, Mexico. I bet it would be a better vehicle if it was made in the USA! :):usa2::usa2::usa2:

MosinRuger likes this.
  8. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I'm a died in the wool Chevy truck guy. I just purchased a 3/4 ton Diesel to use while pulling my 35' trailer. She's got plenty of soup under the hood.

silverado 2500-2.jpg

Bigfoot, goat roper and PAPA G like this.
  9. aris_unlimited

I've pretty much come to the understanding that I'm being tested right now. Be it by God, the devil or simply fate lol. And I've also decided I won't lose lol. I' gonna keep plugging away at this thing, and I'm gonna win!

PAPA G and blaster like this.
  10. tnmedic

tnmedic G&G Evangelist

wow sorry to hear about the bad luck and I have never seen nor heard of an avalanche in a 2500 configuration.

PAPA G likes this.
  11. Chevy = Cheepest Heap Ever eVisioned yet.

grizcty and PAPA G like this.
  12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

My uncle had a Chevy Avalanche 1500 and put like 60K on it and then opted for the 2500 version.
    He didn't have the 2500 long before he sold it and bought the Duramax 2500 4x4. He borrowed my other uncle's 3500 and said he got better mileage towing an antique tractor than he did with the 2500 Avalanche empty.
    My dad bought the 1500 from my uncle and proceeded to put a total of 210K on it. He had some issues with it but nothing as you described. He gave it to me and I put another four thousand on it before selling it. I liked the concept of the vehicle but it just didn't have the bed space that I needed. I upgraded to a Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.7 cummins motor.

I was actually surprised that GM got rid of the the Avalanche as they seemed to sell really well. My brother inlaw said they didn't stay on his lot long when they came in. I know the one I had actually rode nice and was pretty good on gas.

PAPA G likes this.
  13. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

basically a truck bed Tahoe.
    I looked at both, the avalanche and the Tahoe and went with the Tahoe.
    the avalanche felt heavy when I tried accelerating it.
    buddy went with the avalanche and he really likes it, we are still driving both of them 200 miles a week

PAPA G likes this.
  14. aris_unlimited

The 2500 is a 3/4 ton, so it has everything heavier duty. It has the 8.1L vortec big block (496 cubic inches), and a 4L85E transmission. A 9.25 front diff and 10.5 rear diff. So again, heavy duty stuff. All that heavy duty means that my avalanche weighs over 6,000 lbs. Which explains the lack of power and poor mpg. It does have 450 lb ft of torque, but weighs so dang much you don't really notice it (plus Chevys crappy torque management programming). I average about 10.5 mpg on average. Best I ever got was 14 mpg with a straight highway trip.

Now the heavy duty stuff is nice, but it easily costs twice as much in repairs. The parts are more expensive, and harder to change out.

I had a 4.7L dodge Dakota, and it towed my wheelers almost as well as the avalanche does! I'd estimate the avalanche to be about 10% better towing my wheelers, and that's very depressing.

Honestly if I could afford a Dodge Cummins right now, I would 100% switch without hesitation. But at this point I've put so much into this truck, that it'll be cheaper to just keep going.

PAPA G, tnmedic and billy like this.
  15. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

too bad they screwed up newer Cummings engines with all the electronic b.s.
    also, Ford should have kept the Navistar 7.3 diesel engine instead of the crap they now put in their diesel trucks. why do these stupid companies always try to improve what works fine?

Ron The Legend and PAPA G like this.
  16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Ford had to switch from the 7.3 the same reason dodge did. The EPA regulations on clean diesel killed both motors. They couldn’t produce the same levels of power with all the new emission equipment.

The new 6.7 in the Ram and Ford are great motors. If you are able to delete the emission equipment they are even better. It voids your warranty the second you do so you might consider that prior to going that route.

blaster likes this.
  17. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Actually the Avalanche is a truck version of the Suburban. The Tahoe is a little smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudW and PAPA G like this.
  18. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

In my opinion the 8.1 was a huge disappointment and GM dropped it quickly for good reason. The 6.0L was better all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAPA G likes this.
  19. aris_unlimited

My buddy has a 6.0L in his 2500 across the street. They're actually about even. The 8.1L has slightly more power, both our trucks get pretty much the same mpg (both lifted with oversize tires).

The biggest issue is mine has required a ton more maintenance than his, of course his has about 50k miles less.

PAPA G likes this.
  20. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have had Chevy,s , Fords and Dodge. I don't care for the power of the Chevy. I like the Dodge but had recalls and my Transmission, electric mirror and Radio went out within months. I had three Dodges. I have had over a dozen Ford Trucks and vans between work and personal vehicles. Very rare I ever had a break down. I have one pickup F150 STX 4x4 now and 75,000 miles. Only had to put brakes on it over a year ago and two batteries. That's it. I guess we all have issues with vehicles. Can have a fleet of new vehicles bought together and only one or two have issues. They are all different and driven different. Also different terrain and abuse. Also weather and climate plays a big issue

Palladin8, blaster and PAPA G like this.