Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By "Western-style," I mean a CATOBAR (Catapult Assisted Take-Off, Barrier Arrested Recovery) launch and landing carrier with no ski jump like the Soviets and the Indians use, the system the Western nations that operate carriers have been using since the 1950s. This system enables the carrier aircraft to carry more ordnance and fuel, giving them a longer reach and more combat capability. This Chinese perambulating pigeon coop appears to have an oil-fired steam plant, not nuclear-reactor steam turbines like the Nimitzes, the Fords, and the new British and French carriers. The intelligence types think its air group will be around 40 aircraft about evenly divided between attack birds and fighters, plus a couple of airborne radar birds equivalent to the E-2C Hawkeye.

Pay attention, folks. Aircraft carriers are power-projection tools. The Chinese are making their intentions clear, not that they were not already.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
That's big enough to covertly hide one of their subs under it...meaning if we're complacent, they could effectively have two ships in one location. 3-D combat strategy. Wonder if they are going to mount magnetically fired artillery stations on board as well...don't need to carry powder, just projectiles. Inagine all teh stuff you can load into a artillery shell besides high explosives. Cyrano, you are absolutely right, like you said "Pay Attention..."
Pay attention, folks. Aircraft carriers are power-projection tools.

·
Wonderment :)
36,379 Posts
Cyrano: Sir; quite a beast

quote:

According to the People’s Liberation Army Navy, the ship will use electromagnetic launch system, or electromagnetic catapult, to launch fixed-wing aircraft, which will give the carrier a much greater combat capability than its two predecessors that use a ramp to launch jets.
With a hull code of 18, the CNS Fujian is being built at China State Shipbuilding Corp’s Jiangnan Shipyard Group in Shanghai.
At a launch ceremony at the shipyard on Friday morning, the carrier was towed out of its dry dock as color stripes were fired along the dock to celebrate the moment

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I wonder if the game Battleship will add this carrier to the game piece choices...should cover twice as many squares making it an easy target...IMHO. In real life as well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, we and the British have been mucking around with an electromagnetic catapult for awhile now. The Fords are being built on the presumption it will be years before the electrocats are ready to be installed; they all have steam catapults.

So far as I know, the kinetic energy railguns are still in the prototype phase. They haven't licked the power problems yet, and the railguns are nowhere near ready for deployment.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
As far as I know, we and the British have been mucking around with an electromagnetic catapult for awhile now. The Fords are being built on the presumption it will be years before the electrocats are ready to be installed; they all have steam catapults.

So far as I know, the kinetic energy railguns are still in the prototype phase. They haven't licked the power problems yet, and the railguns are nowhere near ready for deployment.

The destroyers that were supposed to have them don't have nuclear power plants. They ended up getting a five incher instead. Nothing to complain about, our 5"/62 is a great gun.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's big enough to covertly hide one of their subs under it...meaning if we're complacent, they could effectively have two ships in one location. 3-D combat strategy.
The Chinese steal from the best. In the case you mention, Admiral Dan Gallery (who went on to a second career as a writer after retiring from the Navy - a very interesting fellow; always wanted to meet him) wrote a story about a Navy war game between two admirals who were friendly rivals. Part of the war game was the admiral commanding the shore defenses had to send a coded message to the one commanding the attack force giving him the noon position of the attack force. The shoreside admiral did it by sending one of his subs to wait on the bottom just outside the Pearl Harbor entrance for the attackers to sortie. When the carriers came out, the skipper of the sub lifted off and took up station under one of them 600 feet under under the keel. The sub, having an inertial navigation system, always knew where he was and sent a burst transmission to the admiral in San Diego after 1200 local time every day. It drove the admiral commanding the attack force crazy when the defending admiral sent an accurate noon position to him every day despite everything the attackers tried to throw him off. The attacking admiral finally called a meeting of his Dirty Trick Department - an idea of Admiral Halsey's he had adopted; a group of men with unconventional minds who looked for unorthodox solutions to problems. An aviator ensign thought the problem through and told the admiral they were being bird-dogged by an attack submarine sitting under their keel. The admiral had a destroyer pull out of the defensive ring and ping under the carrier, and there he was. The ensign also came up with the solution to chase the submarine out. The destroyer used the gertrude to tell the sub the carrier was going to drop 8 shots of chain, so he'd better get out from under her. The carrier then dropped just 2 shots of anchor chain, but the sub skipper knew better than to take a chance and peeled out from under the carrier and came to the surface. The admiral then sent him a blinker light message: "Well done, you sneaky ba$tard."

I don't know that the ChiComs are as clever as that, and I know their submarines are a couple of generations behind ours in all respects. But I would not bet against it if I was running the Navy. You plan for what the enemy can do, not what he might do. Assume the worst possible case and then thank God when what happens is not as bad as that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts