Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just acquired a model 1912-61 Mauser (made by Steyr in Austria for Chile), and I paid only $80CAD for it from a friend. The bolt and reciever match, the hand guard is lighter in color than the rest of the stock, and it has been rebored to 7.62. I saw the identical rifle on GunBroker.com and the bidding started at $650, saying it was quite a rare little rifle.
Does anyone know anything about the history of this type of Mauser? I originally thought it was a pieced together rifle, but it appears I have something pretty unique here....:09:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Great find Paul! Hope your friend doesn't know it's worth.
I have a Steyr 1912 in 7x57. Barrel is 29" and a little frosted but with hand loads she shoots absolutely fantastic. A quater intersected four of five shots at 200 yards off the bench.
Again, very nice.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow-thank you very much jimkim. I was looking (without success) for a link like that....
My rifle doesn't have the Chilean crest on the reciever, it just says "Modelo 1912". (not sure if the crest has been "rubbed out"), and I can faintly see the "Waffen....Austria" stamping on the right side.
Also, the crest stamped into the left buttstock is barely legible...I plan on taking it to a gunsmith this week to have the headspace checked, to see if I can safely shoot it. (1912-Yikes! That's pretty damn old....:bigeyes:)

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
your welcome thumper glad to be of help. I just wish I'd found more info.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I have a 1895 Chileno Mauser 7x57 (7mm Mauser) and I shoot it all the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey guys i have a 1912 steyr mauser also. i got it at a pawn shop for 150 US. it is on a sport stock tho and it is in .308 caliber. I would like to find out as much as i can about it and whether it's safe to shoot with .308. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Wow-thank you very much jimkim. I was looking (without success) for a link like that....
My rifle doesn't have the Chilean crest on the reciever, it just says "Modelo 1912". (not sure if the crest has been "rubbed out"), and I can faintly see the "Waffen....Austria" stamping on the right side.
Also, the crest stamped into the left buttstock is barely legible...I plan on taking it to a gunsmith this week to have the headspace checked, to see if I can safely shoot it. (1912-Yikes! That's pretty damn old....:bigeyes:)
after WWI started the Austrian Army commandered the Chilean contract rifles to use for themselves, thats why there's no Chile Crest and the waffen stamps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts