Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out to the range Sunday morning, as Saturday had the Hunter Safety Course this weekend. My buddy E-mailed me that it was packed in the afternoon Saturday.

Starting out on the first target, I was having some trouble getting a good sight picture. Dang this muggy weather! Bad light that early too. Anyway, the Norinco SKS shot a fifty yard group of 4.5 inches, while the Sino-Sovet shot a whopping 6 inches! Whoa - not good!
I waited for better light, and also had felt the S.S.'s barrel wobbling. Yep, lots of play between barrel and forestock. I used three slips of ammo box paper in the barrel channel to tighten it up.
Later, I'll make a permanent bedding fix.
The Norinco was a bit loose too - it needed only one slip.

Now, after shooting several groups of each, the final targets showed a group just under three inches for the Sino-Soviet, and a little more for the Norinco. Both are doing pretty well, as SKS guns go. And of course, this is the cheapo ammo too.
Next time, I'll push out to 100 yards with bigger targets (old eyes . . . ) and some good commercial ammo.

All things considered, I'm pleased!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yeah not bad for an SKS. What kind of surplus where you using?
Curious to see what happens with the UMC's and Winchester rounds.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using the Russian stuff packaged in white, from the Ulyanovsk plant. Pretty good stuff, I find it far better than Wolf. I ordered it in a 700 round spamcan from AIM.

My Yugo loves the commercial, but the Norinco has doubled with it. May have been crap in the FP channel. I'll make sure the Chinese guns have good free firing pins before shooting it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Big Dog, congrats on the new SKS find. We've been using Silver Bear ammo and getting 6" groups at 100 yds. You say your gun shoots better with the Ulyanovsk ammo? I paid $99 for 1000 which was pretty cheap but if different ammo will bring us better groups I'm for that. With shipping and handling, was the Russian ammo comparably priced? I've been considering bigger targets also, maybe a bed sheet :D
Happy shooting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congtats on the SKS I love em too. They seem to be a well built and cheep gun too. The 7.62X39 is a great round. my dad used 123gr winchester and cor-loct bullets in his, he's got it down to about 1.5 or so @50. My wife uses a M77 in 7.62X39 for deer works good too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts