Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chinese SKS that I received from my nephew months ago in the form of a barreled action only. I put a colapsable fibreglass stock on it and all went smoothly up to that point. Took it to the range and it would fire only one shot at a time but not semi auto. I am new to SKS's and someone mentioned a gas tube ? Perhaps it would help to get one of those cheap owners manuals for $4.00 with an exploded view. Thanks for any suggestions you may make. It is clean but perhaps the gas tube is clogged ? Would that effect the semi auto cycling ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
sounds like cosmo in the tube or the vent hole is blocked. if you do break down the rifle make sure the firing pin moves back and forth in the bolt freely after cleaning or you may get a slam fire situation.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Might check to see if the operating rod is stuck in the rear position,no trasfer of recoil from piston then.:eek:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
i think its the gas tube being clogged. cleaned mine the other day and i was ashemed of my self for letting it go too long

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Pull the gas tube and piston and make sure the piston moves freely in the tube (watch out for the spring when removing the tube). If it does, try cleaning the gas port-the cleaner is about a buck or two. Also look for signs of carbon around the front end of the tube after shooting, if you see carbon, you need to seal\shim the gas tube.

·
Registered
381 Posts
this may sound like a stupid question but does the new stock interfear with the action?i have seen some aftermarket stocks cause problems in otherwise perfectly good guns.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There doesn't seem to be any binding or friction between the action and the stock. It fires fine as a single shot. Saturday will be my first chance to do some serious cleaning and inspection of the gas tube area. I am really hopeful the problem is as simple as that as it sound like the general consensus is that is the problem. I have not been able to pick up a new owners manual yet. Are there special tools required for cleaning the gas tube ? Thanks for all your help and suggestions !

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Barreled action only - did this include a bolt or no? If no, did you check headspace with the new bolt before firing?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'd take it apart 100% and give it the thorough cleaning. What magazine do you have, standard fixed 10 or an aftermarket?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Are there special tools required for cleaning the gas tube ? Thanks for all your help and suggestions !
The only "special" tool for cleaning the gas tube is the carbon scraper for the gas port. I use a 20 gauge nylon brush to clean the tube itself. Some people say to use no grease or oil on the piston but I use a very thin coat of Pro-Shot grease on the wear points after cleaning.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The gas tube and piston should be run absolutely dry! Any lubricant could burn and make a gas pressure where you don't want it, and if enough lubricant is there it might blow the gas tube apart. I have seen ones that have blown apart, but I have never seen one blow apart! Most lubricants will burn and create gas which if contained enough, could blow and cause damage!

I always run any gas cylinder/piston . . . DRY and have never had a problem with wear, over thousands and thousands of rounds. This goes for SKS's, AK's, M1 Garands, M14/M1A's, FN-49's, SVT-40's, M1 Carbines, and G43/K43's.

`

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barreled action only - did this include a bolt or no? If no, did you check headspace with the new bolt before firing?
The barreled action came complete w/o stock. It had the original magazine and spike bayonette attached. I went out and bought a gray plastic/fibreglas folding stock and headed to the range. I also have a 30 rnd. aftermarket magazine that makes it one awesome looking single shot.:mad: Still working on gas tube at present.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts