Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a Chinese SKS that he bought for like $75 a long time ago.It's the type that you load from the top.My question is, How accurate are these guns? He seems to think they aren't accurate but I've never shot it so I dont know.Thanks!!!

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
An SKS can be pretty accurate. These types of rifles always get a bad rap because people think of them as an AK(seriously, show a picture to someone and they think they are the evil AK). Of course some are more accurate then others. A lot of people get really good results with the Yugo SKS's. And as for $75, I about crapped myself today at the gun show. Saw a Chinese SKS for $275. I've got a Chinese paratrooper model that out to 100 yards I've got no problems keeping it in the black with open sights.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
An SKS with a decent crown and not banged up should give 3-4 MOA on a bad day. Some actually get MOA, but those are usually Russian or Yugo milled receiver models.

If you find accuracy lacking, there are ways to improve accuracy, like recrowning, cleaning the chamber, and loosening tension on the barrel from the stock.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
All of mine, in the family all have trigger creep. You have to shoot it a few times to get the feel of it. Great 100 yard deer/hog gun, er, ah, rifle.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
An SKS with a decent crown and not banged up should give 3-4 MOA on a bad day. Some actually get MOA, but those are usually Russian or Yugo milled receiver models.
I'm sure I can find the answer somewhere in the archives of the forum, but I figure I'll ask since you mentioned it... Is there a 'quick-and-dirty' way to tell the difference between a Milled or Stamped model? Other than perhaps noticing that it would look stamped, i.e. all one thickness throughout.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
ALL SKS have the milled receiver - it's the trigger group that is milled or stamped. Milled is considered better, but there is really little difference in that respect - it's the fitting and smoothness of the engaging parts that makes the difference.
One way I have found to tighten the groups on an SKS is to place some light cardstock in the barrel channel in the fore end. The SKS has a very loose fit here, and the barrel can 'wobble' causing larger grouping. It brought my Sino-Soviet from a 6 inch group to half that, using the same ammo. It works.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ALL SKS have the milled receiver - it's the trigger group that is milled or stamped. Milled is considered better, but there is really little difference in that respect - it's the fitting and smoothness of the engaging parts that makes the difference.
Well, not exactly. There is a difference but it shouldn't matter there. The difference of course comes in strength. A milled i.e. machined part will always be able to handle more then stamped or cast. In this application, it wouldn't matter. However, lets say you wanted to run a superload through your rifle a milled reciever will take more gas pressure then a stamped reciever. Amateur machinist here, I liked machining but it can be a little dull at times.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I was under the impression that some Chinese SKSs had stamped receivers. But since the SKS receiver is a major load bearing part, I always found that hard to believe.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i have a chicom sks with all milled parts it shoots good groups at 100 yds. w/ open sights. are there any markings on the rt. side of the reciever?

the reason i asked if there were any markings on the rt. reciever side is because security police sks's are marked there. a good site with lots of sks info is "yooper john's" check it out

·
Registered
6 Posts
PRED
Have you ever thought of placing a scope on your paratrooper? I bought a Scout scoupe mount and placed it on my trooper and I just bought a Scope from Sportsmen guide,should be here this week .I'll let you know how it works out.No drill & Tap for the Scout Scope Mount,It replaces the rear site and uses the same screws to mount.The old eyes arn't as good as they once were.The trooper is fun and cheep to shoot.
JMHO
Oldsarge

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
My Chi-Com was without a doubt, the most accurate semi-auto rifle that I've ever shot and I'm still kicking myself for trading it off. One other consideration to accuracy on these is whether the barrel is threaded or pinned in place. Threaded models shoot much better than pinned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Chinese SKS is very accurate. In fact I found my Chinese was a better shooter than my Russian. and I sold my Yugo 59-66 because it was not good.

I agree with Toolman. I feel the same way, but I still own mine.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I can't talk about the others, but my chicom kicks arss. I have dropped several good deer with mine. Longest shot was just over 200 yards, through the shoulder, both lungs and hit enough of the heart to drop it on the spot. That was about 8 years ago, old lady used it last year to take a doe from about 50 yards! She can take out empty beer cans at 100 yards with the 4X25 scope on it with no problem.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I picked up my Chinese SKS years ago when they were plentiful and cheap. All numbered parts had different numbers on them. Paid $50 for mine, but it was missing the fixed 10 round magazine. That was no problem , found one for $5 at a local show. Shoots well enough to hunt pigs and deer at closer ranges, from 50 to 100 yards. Never had any problems with it's operation, feeds and ejects every time. A lot of fun.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
A non-matching bolt, barrel, and receiver could be dangerous if headspace wasn't verified to be safe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts