close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Choke question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I am clueless about chokes..My Winchester 1300 Turkey 12 gauge has a 22 inch barrel with an Extra Full Winchoke...My Remington 870 Express Super Magnum has a 28 inch barrel with a modified choke...I want to use my Remington for wild pig hunting during deer season I would like to use a slug...But I can't with that choke...Maybe a rifled choke with a Sabot slug ?

2. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Standard forester type slugs can be used with no problem in that choke. Their inverted cup shape is made that way to easily swage down when passing through a tight choke. If you want to try sabot slugs you can get an extended (5") rifled tube for either gun. You may have to try a bunch of them to find one that works well with your tube. Not all of them do, some require a full rifled bbl, which is also an option.

dave375

3. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

There won't be a problem shooting standard slugs thru the modified choke, now the super full is another story. You could do full also but I'd not shoot slugs thru the super full. Check Cabelas and Bass Pro, Midway and some of the other to see your choke options. Full is about as tight as I'd go. The modified should be great.

4. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I researched it at Remington's website...I am going to go with Improved Cylinder & Sabot Slugs

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

by the way... I have no use for cylinder bore at all