close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Christianity Harmful to Animals, Says Animal Rights Godfather

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Christianity Harmful to Animals, Says Animal Rights Godfather
    By Marc Morano
    CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
    July 01, 2002

(CNSNews.com) - Princeton University Professor Peter Singer, dubbed the 'godfather' of animal rights, says Christianity is a "problem" for the animal rights movement.

Singer, author of the book "Animal Liberation" and a professor of bioethics at Princeton University's Center for Human Values, criticized American Christianity for its fundamentalist strain that takes the Bible too "literally" and promotes "speciesism." He defined speciesism as the belief that being a member of a certain species "makes you superior to any other being that is not a member of that species."

In an address to the national Animal Rights 2002 conference in McLean, Va., on Saturday, Singer also reiterated his controversial position that a "severely disabled" infant may be killed up to 28 days after its birth if the parents deem the baby's life is not worth living.

"I think that mainstream Christianity has been a problem for the animal movement," Singer told about 100 people attending a workshop entitled "When Is Killing OK? (Attacking animals? Unwanted dogs & cats? Unwanted or deformed fetuses?)"

He singled out the "more conservative mainstream fundamentalist views" that "want to make a huge gulf between humans and animals" as being the most harmful to the concept of animal liberation.

Singer rejected what he termed "the standard view that most people hold" -- that "just being human makes life special." He told one questioner from the audience, "I hope that you don't think that just being a biological member of the species homo sapiens means that you do have a soul and being a member of some other species means they don't. I think that would trouble me."

"I am an atheist, I know that is an ugly word in America," he added.

Singer pointed out that the Judeo-Christian ethic teaches not only that humans have souls and animals don't, but that humans are made in the image of God and that God gave mankind dominion over the animals. "All three taken together do have a very negative influence on the way in which we think about animals, " he said.

He explained that his mission is to challenge "this superiority of human beings," and he conceded that his ideas go very much against the grain of a country that mostly still believes in human superiority.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Add another nut to the wacko list.

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

My dog does not read the bible,or tora,or anything else. How would he know? He does watch TV,but not church programs,just "Cops".

4. I thought humans were animals. Does that mean we are harmful to our selfs? That guy is totally a wacko.

5. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

I think the idea that humans have souls troubles him because he is an atheist, and does not want to consider the possibility that his soul will be held accountable for his actions. How about sentience? Are there any other creatures on this planet that we can prove are self aware? How about reasoning capacity? There are some smart animals out there (African Grey parrots, Dolphins, Killer Whales, Chimpanzees), but I don't think their reasoning capacity even remotely compares to ours. Why are we so totally different from the rest of the animal kingdom? Why have we always been pre-disposed towards dominating the animal kingdom? We are superior because we possess the traits that make us so, whether you believe in God or not. We are at the top of the food chain. We are civilized. This idiot doesn't recognize these differences? What planet is he from? There are thousands of animals out there physically stronger than we are, and not one of them we couldn't wipe completely and permanently from the face of this planet in a day. Not even a virus is capable of wiping out all of mankind, let alone in a day.

This guy is totally insane, religious arguments aside, his statements aren't supported by scientific data.