Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I hope everyone had a great Christmas! Mine turned out really good. Right before we left for the in-laws, I threw my scout-scoped M-44 in the trunk even tho I didn't figure the deer would be out at all due to the 15-20 mph wind that we had. As it turned out, we saw three young bucks and an old guy that wouldn't come out of the trees. I ended up with a nice little 6 point cull deer from around 220 yds. My wifes nephew took a doe as well. All-in-all, a good day :beerchug:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, congrats!

Now, how about some pictures of the carnage?
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics but my B.I.L. might have.
This is the first deer that I've shot with the '54R round and was very happy with the performance.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics but my B.I.L. might have.
This is the first deer that I've shot with the '54R round and was very happy with the performance.
Drop it on the spot or, if not, how far did it track past the point of impact?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drop it on the spot or, if not, how far did it track past the point of impact?
It wasn't a real pretty kill- he was walking from left to right pretty quickly and I rushed the first shot and clipped his foreleg. He ran about 15 yds to the right and stopped and the next shot dropped him where he stood. We were in the blind for about 1 1\2 hrs and saw four deer-all bucks. I would've paid good money for another buck tag as the only one that took off when I shot was the old man back in the trees.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Good eatin', that venison. I use the "Pot Roast" recipe off the back of a Campbell's dry onion soup box when I cook venison roast. MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

200 yards is a pretty good shot at a moving target. What ammo were you using?

Nick

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
200 yards is a pretty good shot at a moving target. What ammo were you using?
Nick
I was out of my handloads and in a hurry so, I pulled the bullets from a box of S&B h.p. Match ammo and replaced them with .312 dia. 150 gr. Hornady spire-points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts