Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I got bored and after seeing the Dunham's Sports ad for Black Friday shoppers I decided to take a trip to Menomonie and check it out, and if they didn't have anything good I'd check out the Gun Exchange in Elk Mound. I never made it to the Gun Exchange. I've been to the Dunham's in Menom. a couple of times but always went back to the disc golf stuff and never even knew they had guns there. When I got there it was like heaven! 91/30, M38's, M44's Laminated, 1 M44 non-lam, Yugo SKS's, Romanian AK's, Yugo AK's, some Mauser's (Mitchell's and otherwise). They also had spam cans of 7.62x39 and 8mm Mauser, and 10rd packs of 7.62x54R. I came to see the M44 in person so I took a look at the non-lam because I really didn't like the lam's look. I was pretty stoked that they had that kind of stuff there and Headed over to a college buddies place for a little while. On my way out I called the misses and asked if she would mind if I got a Christmas present and Bam! proud owner of a Mosin Nagnat M44 Izhevsk late 1943-45 carbine! All number's match but on the butt plate their is a number with a line through it and above is the matching number. I got the gun, ammo pouch, sling, and a 10 pack of Bulgarian "light ball" 1952 ammo and I have the cleaning kit on the way. For my birthday in Jan I'm gonna see if I can get some of those Bulgarian "heavy ball" 300rd ammo tins and some Stripper clips for sure.

Pictures of course!
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/handsomemanrob/DSC00602.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/handsomemanrob/DSC00606.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/handsomemanrob/DSC00609.jpg

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
ROB the gun is more handsome than you are LOL !!! You lucky guy !!
We don't have places like you went to here, all we have is small locals and WalMart !
That made my night Thanks man...A.H

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys! I am so excited! I can't wait to head to the range with it and give her a go. I know what you mean A.H. I got lucky there are 6 guns stores (that I know of) within a 30 min drive But this is the first I saw with Mil Surp guns. And I'll probably head up to Dunham's again for the 91/30 when they have their sale on them again, and Their Yugo M70 AK47 was the cheapest I've seen even compared to online. Thanks again guys I know your just as excited as I am!

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That looks really nice. Now you need to go back to that store and buy up all the rest of the guns and ammo! :) :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Great looking gun, Rob. Here I thought Wisconsin was turning pure communist and going against guns. I'm happy to here you have some great stores. Merry Christmas to you!

Dave :burnout:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great looking gun, Rob. Here I thought Wisconsin was turning pure communist and going against guns. I'm happy to here you have some great stores. Merry Christmas to you!

Dave :burnout:
No we aren't as bad as Illinois we almost got CCW two years ago if we would have had 1 more vote to override the governors veto. WI is pretty good on guns only 48 hr wait for handguns too. BTW ROb that looks nicer than the ones in Janesville but i bet the good ones are in the back and it is impossible to get those guys to help you event though that store never has anybody there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a manager at the Grafton, WI Dunham's, and yes we have lay a way. I have been to the Menomonie store, and they really did not have too many rifles. At our store, we usually have a good amount of vintage and new guns in stock. The only thing our store does not have are the german K98 mausers that I have seen at all are other stores. That M-44 you got looks like it is in pretty nice shape. Our store currently has like 7 of those rifles and a couple of laminate. Most of the time you will not find an employee that is willing to help you, and if they do, they have no clue what they are showing you. I have found that it is really rare to find a knowlegdable employee at the other stores I have been to. At our store, I am the only one that knows anything about these guns, and that is because I do extensive research on guns before I buy one... I have bought 5 guns from our store, 4 of them are vintage: A 1969 Yugo SKS, 1 Mosin 91/30 dated 1936, 2 Hex receiver 91/30 one dated 1924 with all original metal parts, and a 1929 Tula hex, and a 1917 dated steyer m95. I will buy many more soon. Also at our store, we have our managers that do not know anything about the guns, but make stuff up and look like fools to thoughs that know otherwise. I heard our store manager claiming that all hex receiver 91/30 rifles are sniper rifles... I was shocked and quickly corrected him. Regardless, you can usually find a nice gun at whatever Dunham's you go to, but buy quickly because our gun will not be on sale much after the holidays.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seeing at there are 2 Menomonie's (one spelled Menomonie and Menominee, pronounced the same) I just want to point out that I went to the one by west of Eau Claire and not the one North of Grafton. They have 5 cases with guns in them and 2 of them were "Vintage Guns". I talked to two people at the gun cases and the second guy I talked to seemed a little more knowledgeable than the first. Although the town that my Dunham's is located in is a college town, and every body there even the manager looked like the were probably a student, so that may be why their not as knowledgeable. I'm just really happy I found a place that had guns like that, although one of these days I need to check out the Gun Exchange in Elk Mound they seem to be a very popular store. That kind of sucks to hear that there won't be much sales after the holidays but hey if they do the Black Friday sales on AK's or an SKS next year, I know what I'm getting for christmas!

I haven't got the chance to go out and shoot it yet. I'm not sure if my range is open in the winter but a phone call will fix that and if not my buddy's dad has some land about an hour away we can shoot at I just gotta find out if he's coming home for Christmas break. Whenever I get a chance to get out I'll let you guys know how it shoot, I cleaned it out with about 40 patched but I ran out, I'd solvent a patch, dry with a patch, solvent, dry, then brass brush, repeat. After the brushing, the solvent patch would come out real dirty with what appeared to be copper flakes on the tip. by the time the second dry patch was used before I brushed again is was clean except for the blueish green coloring. I made sure to keep one patch so I could run some rem oil down it when I was done. When I get a chance I'll try to make one of those homemade electronic bore cleaners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts