close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chrome lined bores & forward assists

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, May 12, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I thought chrome lined bores were standard modern manufacturing methods used on all rifles made since WW2. Early AR-15 were reputed to not have chrome lined bores (Eugene Stoner didn't call for them, armorers in Viet Nam did...supposedly). Thus the call for the creation of the forward assist. Is this true ?. I like chrome lined barrels & forward assists. I would hate to find out in the middle of a firefight that my bore was not chrome lined. Am I blowing that out of proportion ?

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Yep

I remember when bolt assists came to be. Who cared about what was in the barrels. Just put the switch on rock -n- roll and pull the trigger!

3. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Hmm, Me thinks that many match barrels are not chrome lined. Remember that when the M-16 first was issued, there were several issues, not just a non lined barrel.

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The forward assist has nothing to do with chrome lined barrels, or lack thereof. It is there to rapidly clear jams caused by powder residue around the bolt and chamber.

5. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I still like chrome lined bores & forward assists...

6. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Have you checked the bores of your handguns? I don't know of any that are chrome plated. I seem to remember the reason the M-16 "needed" plating was the humid weather in Viet Nam and the type of powder used in the first original ammo.

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I've got plenty of humid weather down here....I live less than 15 miles from the Gulf.... 'sides I still like forward assists & chrome lined bores

8. Chrome barrels--- maybe corrosive ammo ?? Foward assist---hummm maybe weak ammo. You think?

Last edited: May 27, 2002
  9. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

Chrome-lined barrels were introduced in the military because their small arms are subjected to adverse weather conditions, as well as going for long periods of time(and many hundreds of rounds)between cleanings.

Chrome lining actually hurts accuracy because there is no way to control the thickness of the plating throughout the entire length of the barrel. This(of course)causes variation in the bore diameter, and makes the bullet do all sorts of weird things.

Check out the better quality AR-manufacturers' match barrels-you'll find they aren't chrome plated.

The forward assist was put on military guns for the same reason-dirty chamber, difficult feeding(not to mention the AR-15's inherantly poor gas system).:D

10. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    See above for most logical answer.

11. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Chrome lined bore is a very good idea for a military rifle , where dependability may mean your life . The M14's had chrome lined barrels .

Many of the AR target barrels are SS .

If it will not close on a round , eject it ( if you can ) to not hit the forward assist and jam it tighter .

The chrome lined barrel is fantastic for corrosive ammo , like the AK or SKS . But I do not know of any .223 that is corrosive ( dirty , probably ) .

Wyr
    God Bless

12. And make sure you clean the bore after firing corrosive ammo. Had a friend of a friend who shot several rounds through his SKS and let the rifle set untouched for 2 weeks--well there was severe pitting to the barrel. For you guys that shoot black powder--same results.

13. Rocklobster

Rocklobster G&G Newbie

M14s had chrome-lined barrels, but eyeball a Springfield M1A-no chrome.

Always clean your gun after every shooting session, corrosive ammo or not. (Who in the world shoots corrosive ammo?)

14. I have never shot corrosive ammo, but it used to be available at cheap prices--ok. Look-- forward assist was added to help out with lock up for the bolt with either dirty ammo or weak ammo. What can I say if you have ever shot a AR-15, then you know what I am typing about.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2002
  15. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The forward assist has nothing to do with weak ammo. Weak ammo causes ejection problems, not failure to lock. If the bolt retracts far enough to ejject the empty case, the springs have more than enough energy to chamber a new round, unless:
    A. The bolt or chamber is badly fouled
    B. The new cartridge is deformed
    C. The magazine is deformed or improperly seated

16. Oh really--that's funny If the ammo does'nt have enough umph! it wont slam the bolt foward enough to lock. Been there done that.
    And no A.B.C is not an option.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2002
  17. You know Klaus after sleeping on it you are correct. What the he** was I thinking. To many cervezas last night I guess. Just felt like arguing.:cheer:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2002
  18. I have seen chrome lined barrels (mostly Euro milsurp with a high probability of African service) on which the chrome has started flaking. Probably the result of being stored dirty and bimetallic galvanic action took over. Invariably, the accuracy was horrendous.

19. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

My M1A is the cheap model with a USGI Winchester chrome lined bore . The more expensive models have SS or CM steel commercial barrels .

I shoot corrosive ammo all the time in 8mm Mauser , 7.62 x 54R , 7.62 x 39mm , 7.65 mm Argie , 7.61 x 25 mm , 9 x 18 mm Mak , 7.62 NATO ( Indian ) , 6.5 mm Swede , and I can not remember what else .

No problem at all . Clean with anything that smells of ammonia . I use Shooters choice Copper Cleaner , for corrosive or non-corrosive .

Cleanbefore the sun goes down . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

20. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

My M1A has a USGI Winchester Barrel , chrome bore .

I shoot corrosive ammo , all the tome , in at least a half dozen calibers .

Clean with anything that smells of ammonia .

Wyr
    God Bless