Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently as some of you know, I bought a Ruger MKII with a supressor. My supressor is an "empty or fake can" it doesn't supress any noise at all. And I CAN buy one here in NM but I need some sort of tax stamp or something to buy a class 3 supressor. BUT does threading the barrel for a supressor make my gun a class 3 weapon or change the classification in any manner?
Reason I ask is because my family and I are moving back to Michigan, and in Michigan the whole handgun thing is SOOO restricted for normal carry compared to New Mexico, and I don't want to get up there and try to register it and have it taken away from me.
I don't THINK it changes anything or else I would have had to get that 200.00 tax stamp thing to legally buy it, but if any of you know please help me out here. If its gonna be a hassle ill just sell it before I move. But I really like it and I don't want to do that. I do have a short little compensator I can put on it in place of the fake silencer. Ill probly put that on it when I register it so I don't raise eyebrows in the police station. But if they take it off and flag it as a different class of weapon I'm kinda up a creek. And I don't swim that good!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't think so. Thanks. Just wanted to ask, I have never owned anything like this gun before and I would feel HORRIBLY stupid if it was a no no, and I didn't even think to ask someone.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Again no, a threaded barrel does not make it an NFA weapon.

If that were the case think of all the AK47s, AR15s, and a ton of hunting rifles that would be illegal because they all have threaded barrels for their flash hiders, flash suppressors, or muzzle breaks. :)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Actually , there is a rule against a barrel being threaded and a fake can on it...BATFE requires the Fake can to be Pinned or silver soldered in place once installed to be legal.
This was because people were building "Pop Bottle" silencers , and other illegal silencers that could be threaded quickly on and off...A NO-NO !!!
You can go thru a class 3 dealer and submit the paperwork and 200 dollars to the BATFE and when approved , get a real Suppressor , but it may not be allowed in some states if you move.
The only allowable Fake can that can be threaded on and off is The GSG-5 style, second design, which has a full length tube inside covering the barrel and the barrel sticks out the end...The first design were recalled by BATFE rules because they had NO internal tube , even though the barrel went all the way through the fake can, the barrel could be drilled with small holes and you had a silenced weapon...BATFE said it was too easy to convert, and made ATI recall and replace ALL the 1st design Fake cans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts