close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Clean Handgun Powder??

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by k8cca, Mar 28, 2002.

1. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Howdy guys,

Loading 357 mags and been using Unique. A guy at the range mentioned some other cleaner burning powder, but I can't remember what he said. Any ideas? That Unique is pretty dirty.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Eric try Bullseye it seems to burn very clean for me in all of my guns I had this problem with Unique when shooting my 45 years ago

3. I think I read an article that Unique was going to be made cleaner. They did a informal test and it was better. You may be still using the old stuff?

4. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

AA9 has always worked great for me.

5. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    I use Clays from Hodgdon in my 40 S&W and it is pretty clean. I never have any unburnt powder either. I do get a bit of residue around my feed ramp that is difficult to get off sometimes but barrel cleans beautifully.

6. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Myself I like Winchester 296 for the 357 mag I shoot 200grn cast lead bullets and the brass and the gun came out really clean. Just my 2 cents.

7. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Jack O, how fast are you pushing those cast rounds? I've never had any luck using cast in .357 (or .44 mag for that matter). Also what brand are you using?

8. Alliant 2400 seems to burn cleanly in my .357. I use Hornady XTP 158gr bullets and have not experienced any cleaning problems. Good luck on your loading.

9. JohnW

JohnW G&G Newbie

I have been using Blue Dot for my 357, 44, and 45 acp for some time now. It has been very clean to me and gives me great results. I don't load cast bullets, only jacketed though.

10. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    with 158 gn lead loads have had decent results with 700x & 231

11. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Jarcp I'm pushing them with 12.4 grains a max load. Book says 1335fps I would say I'm still above 1200fps from a 4" S&W 686. My bullets are from Magnus I have fired several through 3 two by twelve treated planks and dug them out of a lighter stump. All rounds showed no gas cutting and very little damage to the round. They are cast really hard offhand I can put them in a 2" hole at 30 yards. That's just what has worked for me.

12. EdG

EdG G&G Newbie

I have loaded a 148 gr. wadcutter with 2400 and this was a very clean load. no soot on cases.

13. yodar

yodar G&G Newbie

A CLEAN SUBSTITUTE for UNIQUE is ALLIANT Power Pistol. Right next to Unique in Alliants "speed"list (5% slower) I can see no difference in performance other than an exciting muzzle flash...VERY clean, as another post said, Clays is clean, as is UNIVERSAL Clays which I can use in my nines and my .40

14. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Yodar it's not the words that are mean it's the mouths that speak them. Kinda like a monkey with a handgun it just isn't his fault.

15. Chris L.

Chris L. G&G Newbie

I switched to 700x for my .38, 9mm, and .45 ACP loads. Very clean burning powder. I have alway found the "Herco brand" powders to be very dirty burning.

IHTH
    Chris