Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you guys clean these rifles? I clean them after each shooting session, but have reality friends and online friends who have never cleaned them and they say you don't have to clean them.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FutureMarine said:
You should clean any gun after you shoot it
Yeah, that's what i'm saying. I don't get why some people think that a .22 doesn't need to be cleaned. I can only imagine how much dirt would come out of them guns if I ever got ahold of them to clean them. I would have to change my clothes afterwards probly. :ballons:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always put at least three patches through my bore with some hoppe's #9 powder solvent. It's not really the bore I'm worried about, though - it's the action. There is so much crap in my action by the time I'm done with a box of 325 rounds of match-grade-ish stuff from Wal-Mart that it takes me about 20 patches and a ton of cleaner/oil before the bolt doesn't have that grindy feel cause of the dirty stuff in there.

Even with that grindy feel, the rifle will still go for thousands of rounds. That being said, some of the paint from inside my reciever is being stripped off... that can't be good, so i'm keeping the thing clean after every shooting session.

Once in a while, I'll run a patch through in the middle of shooting. The shots will be off for a few rounds, then back to normal and a bit better after.

Really, the action needs cleaning more than anything else. It matters a lot less on bolt and pump action rifles, i'm sure.

·
Registered
767 Posts
some people claim they never clean....and high performance barrels hate brushes...I clean after ever session with a bore snake (with brush removed) and good old hoppes solvent. then before I put it away, I run a snake thru it with break-free lube on it to coat the barrel (This is south alabama where everything rusts if not protected, and break free is the absolute hand down best at that.) If your new to 10/22's go to http://ruger22.com for detailed pictures on how to clean and tear it down.
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
As has been said, any firearm needs to be cleaned after use.

The M-16 was promoted by the makers as never having to be cleaned. Shortly this rifle enjoyed a reputation for unreliability. Guess what ? When soldiers (no doubt sick of having their rifles fail in combat) began to clean them, they worked better. Manufacturers rarely make such claims any more.

Maser 209 said:
I don't get why some people think that a .22 doesn't need to be cleaned.
Because those people are stupid.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Anyone who says you never need to clean a .22 is a complete and utter moron. Sorry for the passion in my post. 22's are some of the dirtiest metalic cartridges out there. There's tons of unburnt powder that will jam up the bolt, and barrel crown. I'd love to see someone with an uncleaned .22 anything take on someone who has cleaned their gun. The difference would be remarkable.

·
Registered
492 Posts
btw Stainless Steel doesn't mean STAINless, it means stainLESS, if you catch my drift. They can't put too much chromium in steel (the element that makes Steel Stainless) or the barrel would snap in half if you so much as touched it (exaggeration). Chromium makes Steel brittle, which is why SS swords are crapola. High Carbon steel does rust, but only if you are careless.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Gun cleaning

This is an observation I think is true regarding purchasing a new rifle.
It was test fired and not cleaned since that day.
I've no doubt I've purchased firearms that were left dirty for years.
Am I wrong?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you experts should do some research. check out how often the barrel of a good 22rimfire benchrest rifle gets cleaned. you should however clean the action and exterior of the rifle every time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Client came into shop.
10/22 out of action???
Took apart " O MY F$%#@& God.
Seems he frogot to mention.
Sice day of purchase.
Only sprad it with WD-40, And loaded, and shot!!!
He's had it for 3 YRS.
Without take down cleanling.
God knows how many RDS.
Love those RUGERS.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Ah, it's not that bad. I use it on my Marlin 60 all the time. Works like a charm. :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
.22guy said:
Ah, it's not that bad. I use it on my Marlin 60 all the time. Works like a charm. :)
it does work well. after shooting corrosive ammo i put that down and then some high quality gun oil

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Yeah, my gramps uses it all the time. He's got some old fine firearms and he's been using WD on them for years. He's old school. I just shoot some in the action of my Marlin if it's getting gritty after a lot of plinking. Buys me a few more hundred rounds. It's never given me any problems if I use it sparingly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cleaning a 22

I have always cleaned my guns within a week of use. Sometimes within that week I shoot a gun several more times. Never had any problems or damage.
Not ever cleaning a firearms seems rather foolish.

:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
After every time I go out shooting with it, two to 3 patches down the barrel and the action gets throughly cleaned. Every thre or so times the barrel and action both get really thoroughly cleaned. I got an old Marlin semi auto recently (see other thread on Marlin 98) and started cleaning it....... 2 hours later was still at it. Even the push feed magazine was black on the inside.......Finally got bore and action to come out clean... But thats why you take care of the things!! The 10-22 is too nice a weapon and too reliable to be treated poorly.
Sorry about the rant.... just feel that any good gun should be kept cleaned and oiled..

·
Registered
740 Posts
Shine a light down the barrel after 100 rounds. Looks like grains of sand and smudgy oil. Thats why groups get wider after 50 or so rounds. The bullets collide with all that stuff you see with your bore light. I like to see a bright gloss on the bore before I put up my 10/22s. If I can't see any lead or stuff after a pad gets pulled through the bore I don't ever use a wire brissel bore brush. I get a little bit lazy about cleaning the action though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Corrosive Ammo

I have heard that you need to use ammonia to neutralize the corrosive salts from the ammo. I use a copper solvent bore cleaner which is ammonia based on my SKS after shooting the corrosive ammo and then follow with Hoppes #9. I have heard of some just using 50/50 household ammonia and water from a squirt bottle followed by a dry patch just to neutralize the salts. I have had the SKS for almost a year now and with about 1300rds of corrosive yugoslavian ammo, it has not shown any ill affects and continues to improve on accuracy (or I am shooting better :) )

it does work well. after shooting corrosive ammo i put that down and then some high quality gun oil

1 - 20 of 62 Posts