close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning live ammo ???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Pauly, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Would it be safe to clean live ammunition in a case tumbler ?

It's a Dillon CV500, and as it's new, I don't want to blow it to bits just yet. ( myself included )

If so, what would be the best media to use ?

Thanks.

2. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Pauly not a good idea to tumble live ammo. In fact It should never be done the risk of injury is to high. Let me see if I can help you with cleaning your ammo. What is the reason you want to live ammo. Sounds like you sre a reloader. Give me some more info to go on.

3. Thanks Jack.
    I have a small cartrige collection and, as I am getting set up for reloading, I thought it might be worth enquiring if I could use the tumbler to keep them nice and shiney. Not a big deal, just thought I may have been able to save some time.

Also, I notice that you are a sparky. Perhaps you could answer another question for me.
    The Dillon tumbler I bought is actually a 220v euro version and, as I live in Australia, I need to change the plug. I was wondering I the wiring colours are an international standard. That is, brown:active / black:neutral / green:earth ?
    Thanks again.

4. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Pauly that is a good question. Green is your earth ground. We have that out of the way how is your voltage set up 240 volts to ground or two legs at 120 volts to ground. I've done some work on euro built boats seems like they used brown as hot or active blue as neutral . Keep posting and will figure it out.

5. Jack. I think you've cleared it up for me.
    From what I've seen over here in the past, it's been either brown:active / black:neutral / green:earth, or (they changed it a few years back to) red:active / blue:neutral / green:earth.
    Was told by a sparky when I was doing electric hot water service change-overs to just remember the bl in black and blue and the other two would be self explanatory.
    It's 240v to ground here, with three pin plug (one active, one neutral and one earth)
    So long as I know the brown on this thing is active, I think I should be OK.
    So should I feel confident ? lol
    Thanks again Jack.

6. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Well Alright Pauly glad I could help

7. Robert

Robert Member

Lee has a 3 jaw chuck that you can get to spin cartridges, you would also have to get the "stud" that goes with it. Two peices. It is universal and you can put it in your drill. Start it spinning, apply compound, use a soft cloth and buff it out. Pretty fast. I have Simicrome polish, but they have stuff that is better for bullets (ammonia free)

8. Hey, I like the sound of that. Thanks Robert.
    Speaking of Simicrome, I read on the old site yonks ago, where someone mentioned that they used it on Ruger trigger assemblies to smooth 'em out. Is this right, as the trigger on my SRH is pretty coarse at the moment ?

Oh and Jack, the tumbler works great thanks.

Cheers.

9. J.A.

J.A. G&G Newbie

All the commerical reloaders I know tumble live ammo to remove the lube. I have read that the big ammo mfg's do the same thing.
    I do it too.
    I have a friend that tumbled 10,000's of rounds of surplus ammo to remove corrosion without a single problem. We shot the crap out of 1000's of rounds of it.

10. DavidC

DavidC G&G Newbie

Pauly try using some news paper that has been torn into strips or squares put in plenty and it should not be a problem my fater had a ffl for ammo mfring and we did it all the time works well to clean up your ammo DavidC

11. bgl0b6

bgl0b6 G&G Newbie

I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH TRUTH THERE IS TO IT BUT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT TO POLISH LOADED AMMO IN A TUMBLER OR TURBO THE MOVEMENT CAUSED THE POWDER TO BREAK DOWN,THUS CHANGING THE CHEMICAL MAKE-UP AND BURN RATE OF THE POWDER,WHICH CAN IN TURN CAUSE UNSAFE PRESURES.TRUE OR NOT,MY LIFE AND MY RIFLE MEAN MORE TO ME.