Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Um so i'm new to the SKS. i've been using Wolf's military classic 124 gr. FMJ ammunition.

The other day, i would fire the weapon, and only after firing, i could not pull the slider back. after playing with it for like 15-20 minutes and jiggling it, i could pull it back and the spent cartridge would pop out. I then grabbed one, and tried to fit it into the barrel to see if that was the problem. Its wierd that these bullets, after fired are super hard to put back into the barrel because the cartridge expanded or something. (I am thinking that this is the cause that the slider wouldn't come back cause the cartridge was stuck after it expanded, in the barrel, and so the slider holding onto it couldn't slam backwards)

So i was cleaning my gun afterwards and i found deposits at the front of the barrel where the cartridges would be, and i'm thinking this might be the cause of the problem.

SO whats the best way to clean this gun i don't really know anything. do i just buy a 30 caliber bore cleaning bronze or brass brushed thing to put down the barrel to clean off the deposits? they look almost like a little bit of cement in there but i'm sure thats just appearances.

lastly, towards the end, it was jamming on every single bullet. (after it fired of course)

i put live rounds into the barrel's beginning and they fit just fine, even had a little extra room to wiggle a little.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Hmmmm. Could be some baked on cosmolene that was never cleaned out of it initially. Get a cartridge sized brass brush (not bullet sized), disassemble the rifle, and ream the heck out of the chamber and see what comes out. Then reclean the barrel and gas port, reassemble, and try it out. (If it's a Yugo, the button on the barrel in front of the upper handguard MUST be down to the right, not straight up. Push in, turn to right.)

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,699 Posts
Make sure to clean the gas port in the barrel - the hole leading up to the gas valve. Crud in there can adversely affect cycling.

·
Premium Member
30,705 Posts
Hmmmm. Could be some baked on cosmolene that was never cleaned out of it initially. Get a cartridge sized brass brush (not bullet sized), disassemble the rifle, and ream the heck out of the chamber and see what comes out. Then reclean the barrel and gas port, reassemble, and try it out. (If it's a Yugo, the button on the barrel in front of the upper handguard MUST be down to the right, not straight up. Push in, turn to right.)
squirt some brake cleaner or a solvent of some sort on the brush to break that deposit down.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I didn't think you really want any wiggle room in the chamber due to the expansion that will happen with the casing while being under pressure. Doesn't that tend to cause a rather stiff to near impossible extraction? i don't believe i'm wrong here, but if so, please inform me on how i am. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts