Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although i have been a gun enthusiast my whole life i just recently started collecting guns(im only 21). so i bought the sks when a friends dad told me they were only 100 dollars at a military surplus store by my neighborhood. i can take the gun down and have it back together in less than five minutes but i dont know exactly what needs to be oiled and how to clean the barrell...could someone give me the rundown on what it takes to keep my 40 year old rifle running smooth :gangster:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
In most military rifles, I like to use a good gun grease on the rails or areas where the bolt/carrier ride on the receiver. A teflon grease is better. Just a thin coating - no thick gunk! After cleaning the barrels bore and the gas system (don't forget the gas valve and the port!), I leave the gas piston dry, so it doesn't build up gunk. Much easier to clean after firing! A good light oil in the trigger system. An overall wipe-down of light oil.
Put her away til next time to the range!
On the bore, I use a standard cleaning rod. The Yugo's grenade launcher makes a pretty fair bore guide, so you don't have to worry about the crown.
With a flexible rod, you can go in from the chamber end, but this really isn't necessary.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what was that i heard about someone putting something on the inside of the barrell since it isnt chromed....and when i clean the barrell dont i have to twist the cleaning rod as i run it through or something?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I made the mistake of not oiling the first three inches of the barrel bore inside the breach, and it rusted up in a couple nights in the safe and a shell stuck in it ...the extractor tore a chunk of shell rim off it was so tight...that had to be hammered out with a thick cleaning rod!

I then shot some breakfree-clp in there, and let it sit over night..and it was like a brand new rifle the next day...rust was wiped off, and it shote half a dozen clips with no problems.....I swear by that stuff now!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
The non-chrome bore hasn't been a problem for me. I just treat it like any other milsurp - clean well after shooting. I personally think chroming reduces accuracy. No proof - just my own opinion. :)

I will grease the bore if storing for a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts