Clinton era Gun Laws

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BGinID, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BGinID

BGinID G&G Newbie

Can Geroge W. and the Republican Congressmen reverse the gun laws passed during the Clinton administration?

If the Republicans are, "Pro-Gun", like they claim, maybe they would be willing to reverse the unconstitutional gun laws with a little pressure from their constiuents. What do you think, could a little pressure placed on the Republicans change the laws to their original state? Who would be the group to lead the drive and put the pressure on the Republicans?

What do you think?

2. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

I think I vote Republican because I think they are the lesser of two evils. I really don't expect a lot out of them in regard to reversing laws,especially in the present climate. To tell the truth I wouldn't expect them to do much anyway!
    They talk big but when they get the opportunity,(contract with America),they suddenly,when faced with the hostile media,can't find their cajonies! Happens every time
    They are really a disappointment to me,but they ARE the lesser of the two evils!
    I have been thinking the same thing,how come they can't reverse some of those obviously,in my view,unconstitutional laws,Clinton got them in pretty easily,of course the media was behind him,but if the Republicans we put in office had any backbone they would take care of business,**** the media!
    But I wouldn't hold my breath!
    I like President Bush,I think he has a lot of potential! Time will tell!

3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The only way I see this happening is if we take control again in the house and the senate with a majority in all three areas and the overwhelming support of President Bush we could easily get the laws nixed. The brady bill and several others are supposed to sunset next year and if the dem's get support they will come back.

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

there were some rules and regulations set in place by the state department and the BATF plus Komrade Klintons own presidential decrees on the subject. these don't need any congress approval. just needs president with balls and a large drum of white out.

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

If we have enough Republicans in the house and senate, then we will not have to worry about the 94 gun ban getting reinstated after it expires in 2 years.

6. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

Why do we need automatic weapons? Why can't the state relagate what is good for the state? Gun clubs better police themselves or terrorists will come again. Protect yourselves first and rely on the gov't second.

7. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Right on Rave

I don't expect Bush to do much on reversing any laws passed. I think the guy is too scared of losing his approval rating. Why else would he not veto CFR. I believe the media outcry would hurt him in the polls and he has been very cautious to avoid any bad publicity.

I do not think the man to be a coward. He may be biding his time and using this approval rating as way to get control of the senate again. Who really knows what the guy will do. There are just too many different scenarios to try to guess him. Personally I would like him to use this high approval rating to really get things done; but this may be better attemted after the Nov. election.

I do agree with you that the safe money bet is nothing.

8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I totally fail to understand jgang's post. Can someone please explain it to me?

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

My guess is jgang is not a true supporter of the second or just does not understand that the basics behind the 2nd and a well regulated militia speak to our having firearms equal to that of the military

10. SPOCAHP ANAR

jgang's post

And what does gun clubs policing themselves have to do with terrorism? I think he may be talking about the national Guard thing as being the militia?

11. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

My understanding is that we need to protect ourselves from ourselves. We will never be able to compete with the illegal. How do you regulate the need for auto weapons? Sporting issues should require extra taxes and licenses to own and use. Why would you fight that issue if you are already able to comply.?

12. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Just remember, the Crime bill cost the Democrats both houses of Congress in 1994. I think the key to the "sunset provision" is the House of Rep. It barely passed in '94 with a Democratic majority. The press will go wild as the time approches. Bush has already said in the 2000 election that he would extend the Crime Bill if it arrives on his desk. Bottling it up in the House of Rep. or amending it...(taking out the mag ban, allowing some weapons the sporting label,ect.) might be a strategy. I think politicians are looking toward the '02 elections before this becomes an issue.

Jesse

13. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

So why do repub's want to be be broke and own guns, versus being halfway wealthy and being able to own more guns. This does not make sense to me. I understand the balance of political parties but why do we elect on gun issues, without proper thinking?

14. wes

wes G&G Newbie

jgang,I can't disagree with you yet,however, do you really understand WHY our forefathers thought the 2nd. amendment was so important that it comes right after "freedom of speech"? It was to insure that we would be able to protect these rights from a tyrannical government. They knew what a government COULD do to it's people,and so,put this protection in there for us,and we are expected to carry this ourselves. It's the only thing that keeps our government in line. God forbid we should lose it.

15. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

I just want to know why? We ( subjective use) support people that inherently support guns. These trusted people then go vote and figure out what is best for us. Are we blind??? How can we support our sport, hobby, living, if we can't make enough to keep it going? Let us decide what is good for us? jgang

16. SPOCAHP ANAR

HUH

I still do not understand fully what he (jgang) is trying to say. Maybe I am slow tonight.

"We can't compete with illegal" Illegal what- gun users? And who is competing with them? Im not. And what is being poor and owning guns mean? or being halfway wealthy?
    BEATS ME?

jgang read the constitution parts number 2; 9; 10. If you have any questions email me.

17. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

Wes, I agree, that we need to keep our gov't in check, but can we? Hello, Tim MC? We need to keep us in line before we worry about a nation. I want a responsible gun owning nation to come forward and set a new standard for the public to grasp and cling to. I want to get you to think!! jgang

18. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I thought,and I STILL don't know WHAT you are talking about. Phac,we are on the same wavelength. ??????

19. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

OK, ( I would rather be a gun owning repub than be a slave to the democratic party), I am torn between two public factions. Why do republicans ignore the lower to middle class citizens that receive less than the upper class citizens? Yes, the demos, do cater to the under privelaged, but most of us are lower to middles. How come I have to spell it out?jgang

20. jgang

jgang G&G Newbie

Hey Phaco, if you regulate, how do you compete with those who don't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.