Clothing

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Vel454, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Vel454

Vel454 G&G Newbie

I've seen a lot of people (on other forums too) talk about the gear they're going to get, and clothing always seems low on the list of concerned gear to obtain. And when it's mentioned, I see a lot of people talk about BDU's and other similar clothing. I think BDU's would be great for times when camo is needed. But don't forget, a lot of it is just cotton. Cotton is great for casual wear. It's light, and breathes well. But ever been out in the rain in a pair of blue jeans? Once wet, they offer nearly no warmth. Take forever to dry, and if that happened out in the woods, would likely rot.

Down is worthless once wet (I'm a hardcore down enthusiast, but I'm just saying).

Gor-tex and Membrain jackets are great. Nothing really rivals in waterproofness outside of some brightly colored rubber piece that has no breathability. But the problem with gortex and membrain is that they'll eventually tear. It happens with casual hiking, let alone wearing them all day, every day from fall to spring. If your out in the brush (which it sounds like a lot of people plan on doing) it wont take long at all, for sharp twigs, a couple trips, sitting on the back of it while resting, etc. to cut and slowly tear it open. I'd be surprised if any jacket you get lasted more than a year in such an environment.

I think the best option would be to go with wool. Wool still keeps you warm when it's wet, it's durable and so on. And of course, you get what you pay for. I'm an avid hiker and have owned a lot of different outdoor gear. I live in the puget sound area, and I definitely known the benefits of a great rainshell, but in a complete SHTF scenario or worse, it just wont last.

I bought a Filson Double Mackinaw last november. Wearing just a t-shirt beneath it keeps me very warm down into the teens, completely blocks out wind and holds off light to moderate rain for several hours. Even when it finally soaks through, I still stay warm. Absolutely amazing piece and I plan on adding in a pair of bibs and so on. There are a lot of wool companies out there, like Woolrich and such. But Filson has been known to make some of the highest quality wool garmints in the world. They also have parafin waxed cotton canvas clothing to, that will outlast a good carhartt 10x over. I highly recommend you check them out and think about adding some wool to your BOB or general supplies.

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Thanks for the reminder on Filson.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010

3. The scout master always told me 'Cotton Kills', it will get wet and you die of freezing... or something like that.

4. Wool would be the best way to go in my mind...and for a jacket, I'd go with oilskin.
    Seems as nobody wears that stuff anymore, but it's some good stuff.

5. cheapsandwich

cheapsandwich G&G Newbie

you can wear a wool army blanket in a number of ways with just a piece of rope. goes back in your bed roll when you don't need it.

6. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

an oil skin duster would make a good outer layer for everyday work.
    just a tank under it in the summer, and however many layers underneath in the winter. waterproof, good protection from the wind, and durable. i used to wear one all the time, now i forget what i did with it.

7. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

Clothing is low on my list only because my family is WELL covered by my hunting gear alone :).

Wool is the best stuff in the world (IMO) when wet. It gets heavy as HECK and itches but it's 80% as warm when wet as it is when it's dry. That's kinda nuts. Can't be beat in wet, muggy, clammy weather when you need to get some real work done. Sweat your butt off in the rain and stay pretty warm when you take your lunch break.

Gortex is TOPS for water proofing. Knock offs are OK, but they may as well be a siv after a year in a closet. Gortex has a shelf life too, but it's several years, and will leak SLOWLY when it's new.

I'm sure that waterproofing sprays lengthen the life of both materials.

Oil, any oil, can turn any fabric or leather into a waterproof membrane, mink oil doesn't irritate the skin or run. Motor oil or transmission fluid works, but gets EVERYWHERE, stinks, and makes me break out. Not recommended, for clothing, but it'll do the trick for tents in an emergency.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  8. A 60/40 blend, polyester, or acrylic if you can't tolerate wool. GoreTex is good. Do they make a wool that doesn't itch you? Wool is heavy to pack, I would lay down a ground tarp, a wool blanket, the rope tent covered by a Camo tarp, with a space blanket tarp, and a GI fleece sleeping bag inside.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  9. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Your body produces enough heat, to dry wool out.
    Which will still keep you warm, while soaking wet.
    But the body cant/wont stay warm with wet cotton.

10. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If I remember right wool retains 70-80% of it's insulative quality when soaking wet.

11. keeferman

keeferman G&G Newbie

Is there a good place online to look at wool and oilskin clothing for outdoor camping type usage?

12. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Yes, wool retains much of its insulating quality when wet. More to the point, wool dries from the inside out, not from the outside in as cotton does. That's why the scoutmaster's warning mentioned above that cotton clothing can kill you is bang on. I recall an anecdote from, I think, The Brendan Voyages by Tim Severin concerning wool. One of the Norwegian crew members taught the crew of the curragh a Norse fisherman's trick. They would wear wool mittens dipped in seawater and wrung out. This kept their hands warm even in the cold Atlantic weather the Brendan encountered crossing from Iceland to Greenland.

Unfortunately, finding good wool that's suitable for summer wilderness use is not easy. I stand by my statement on field uniforms for SHTF use, but suggest wearing microfiber or silk under them.

13. DudeInMT

DudeInMT G&G Regular

[​IMG]I've got a crushed wool Dorfman Pacific hat, and it's been a real nice hat to have a long. Keeps the rain, sun, and snow off my head. Not as warm as a proper winter hat, but very nice for random spring and fall snows.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Earth Wind

Several issues come up while; "outside'' wet and cold. One; the earth will suck all the heat out of your body; should you lay, or sit.
    Options? many; from having a hammock; to creating a bed of balm. Any will work.
    Wind will ''suck'' all the heat; keeping your lower extremities warm and dry will assist in the times of woe.
    Core temp. is vital to all major organs; Bodys core ''will' shut down what it calls non essentials; toes, fingers; ''and'' then it is on. All kinds of bad shows up.
    Fire; heat; out of the wind; as quickly as possible; ''shed" as much of the wet; 'getting' it near heat for quicker drying.
    All basic info; :)