Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, To any of you ar15 experts..I dont know mush about ar15's...but I'm looking to get one. I probably only want to shoot up to 200-300 yards at most(mostly 100 yards or less). I wont hunt with it.. I have a couple questions though...Does anyone know anything about cmmg?...are they a good company?...also is the 1:7 twist that important? and I dont really know how to buy a gun online...Do I have to have it shipped to a gun dealer by me? What kinda cost should I expect for that? Here's the gun I'm looking at....any suggestions on upgades(and why) would also be nice. and any reason I shouldn't go with this company? and is this a fair price?....thanks in advance CMMG 16" Lightweight Mid-Length Carbine

New production CMMG 16" Lightweight Mid-Length Carbine. Features include mil-spec fire control group and take-down pins, lightweight profile barrel, chrome lined 5.56mm chamber and bore, 1/7 twist, parkerizing under. 625 diameter "F" marked forged front sight base, forged upper and lower receiver, M4 feed ramps, mid-length handguards and mil spec 5 position ribbed reinforced stock. All barrels are magnetic particle tested and all uppers have been factory head spaced and test fired. Included with weapon are hard case, cleaning kit, sling, 2-30rd mags, manual and lifetime warranty.
the link http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=1040838&cat=59&

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi jim433

me and my bro each have a cmmg ar-15 and they are as good as any other AR and i dont think the 1:7 twist is better than 1:9 at least thats what i have heard, it will be very accurate out to 300 yards easy, mine has a gas piston and was about 1200 bucks, this should be a good gun

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, you have to have any firearm (complete or lower receiver) shipped to an FFL holder, on average they'll charge $20, I just did this recently myself. (my FFL charge $35 or so, bastard Pataki requiring gun locks to sold with all new firearms in NY caused that).

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The 1 in 7 twist is good for the heavier bullets in the 5.56 nato world ie; the 77 gr match load that some of our troops use. I like a 1-8 or 1-9 twist as I don't shoot heavy bullets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking at a CMMG ar15 now. I live about 30 mile from where they are built and about 3 miles from the store. They are selling a basic set-up model for $899 with life time warrantee or you can pick up one that they throw together with extra parts from the factory with a 30 day warrantee for $599. I think I going with the one that's set up already. You get to pick out your sights and all that stuff. My 15 year old son can't wait.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I personally would go with the random parts rifle for that price. More than likely, nothing will break. If something does, it can probably be fixed for a lot less than the $400 extra it would cost to buy the other one. Either way, you'll love it! Those things are addictive...I already want another upper, even though I can't even start to afford it. I may just start buying parts slowly and eventually have enough...

·
Registered
117 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with anything from CMMG.. If price is your concern though, check out Del-Ton and look at their Rifle Kits. Then buy a lower receiver from somebody local, and put it all together yourself.. A basic kit will run you $550 or so depending on how you pay for a lower receiver. I've built 10 or so from Del-Ton kits and haven't had a single problem with any of them. I shoot thousands of rounds a year, so it's not like the AR's sit in a safe..

good luck with your decision.. and have fun with whatever AR you get

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have a CMMG upper, it's nice. It's also the only one I have in 5.56. BTW, the link in the original post is for a shopping cart, not for the actual rifle. Anyway, I think the faster twist in shorter barreled rifles makes for better stability of the bullet in flight. That's why you can get away with shooting heavy (for the twist rate) bullets out of 24" barrels. My CMMG upper has a chrome lined barrel, but I haven't checked the chamber.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts