CMP barreled receiver

Discussion in 'M1 Carbine' started by oldjarhead, Sep 10, 2010.

1. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    I just received my M1 Carbine barreled receiver. Since CMP referred to this item as “junk” I didn’t anticipate anything higher but I did have a ray of hope.
    I am pleased with my win of an NPM receiver topped with a type II adjustable rear sight. The barrel sported a very clean gas piston and gas piston nut which was just another plus. The barrel appeared slightly discolored and the muzzle wear was almost nil and only slight rust at the chamber. After cleaning the bore the reality of rust rang true; The first 6 inches of bore looked pretty good and the last 6 inches of bore and chamber looked pretty good; the middle 6 inches is a ferrous oxide nightmare. Overall, however, I’m satisfied with the purchase. Now just to figure out how to remove the bad stuff in the middle (joke)...I'm going to rebarrel. I may have to fabricate a reason to order one more.
    Now it goes into my shop for a rebuild...love working on this things.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Put a plug in it and fill it with Coca-cola! Leave it for 5 minutes then scrb with a bronze brush. You'll be amazed with what comes out!

3. oldjarhead

MO
    I don't drink Coke...will Pepsi do?
    lol
    I sprayed Gunzilla into the bore and let it sit overnight and then pucnhed it with a new brush...the patches that followed were filled with crap. Now I can easily see how devastated the barrel really is.

4. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I would scrub the barrel really well, maybe try a homemade electronic bore cleaner. See if it shoots OK, if not then rebarrel.

5. oldjarhead

MO
    I assure you that accuracy will take a toll with this barrel and I do believe that even an intelligent bullet will get confused about its spin.
    I have no doubt that it will shoot...just not very well...lol
    I fully intended to rebarrel this action before I even ordered it.
    Thanks for the comment though.

6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Takes some pics along the way !!

7. oldjarhead

MO
    I'll try Swede...not real good at gettin' pics to load on this site; don't know why. Maybe we can get CXhris to look into an easier method.

SeabeeScotty is working on a barrel modification as we speak. Now I need to figure how I'm gonna mod my stock...get my whittlin' knife out I guess.