close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CMP Danish arrived this morning!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BenJ, Apr 2, 2002.

1. BenJ

BenJ G&G Newbie

What better way to make a guy who's home under the weather to feel better than have the FedEx guy pull his truck up in your driveway and ring the doorbell?!? Four weeks to the day since I mailed the order packet it arrived. Springfield Armory, SN 2,573,XXX, VAR barrel, SA -12 bolt, PB trigger housing and op rod, original SA lock-bar sights, (really cool!) and let's not talk about the wood(Beech buttstock with birch handguards, oh well, you can't win them all).
    But overall, I'm pretty pleased with what they sent. Hope to get it all cleaned up and out the range this weekend. Our club's first high power match is this Sunday, but I don't think I'll be able to have it ready to shoot by then. I wonder if RickB could do anything with this wood set? I'll have to have him take a look at it. Anyway, I'm glad to have this genuine piece of U.S. history. It will be cared for and appreciated.
    Ben.

2. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Ben,
    Sorry you are under the weather, but you indicate that you received the best medicine!!! Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Take it from someone who has had work done by Rick B.....
    he is a miracle worker with stocks. Send it to him and I am sure you won't be disappointed.
    Speedy recovery, Jeffro (Jeff)

3. BenJ

BenJ G&G Newbie

CMP Danish: Update from range

Looks can be deceiving. After spending some time Tuesday evening thoroughly cleaning up this new addition, my overall opinion was, "man this gun is worn out." The finish is completley gone on many areas of many of the parts. I thought for sure I bought a pig in a poke. Yesterday late afternoon I got the opportunity to run up to my local club range for a little "test drive". Despite the light snow falling (actually it was kinda pretty) I set up to check this rifle out. I am here to tell you, what they say about these Danish barrels must be true. I am not the world's best bench rest shooter, so I can't say for sure how this rifle grouped.....BUT.....using M2 Ball (LC66) shooting off-hand at a standard military 100yd target, I was able to put 7 of the 10 shot string in the black, the remaining shots were two 8's and a 6.
    With more practice I'm sure I could better that, but the point is the gun was there right out of the box. And consistently so. I think this one has potential for the John C. Garand match on Sunday. Thanks, CMP!

4. JimE2

JimE2 G&G Newbie

TX
    My 2.1mil. SA Danish M1 was also a real beater. But with that VAR barrel, its a real tack driver! Shoots better than I can. With a decent stock, my old Dane looks a lot better. I too was disapointed with the wood on my Danish M1, but RickB fixed me up right.