Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my day all the way today, rode up to the South CMP to find me a Garand. All they had was Field grade which was ok by me cuz thats what i wanted and could afford. No other grades other then collectors grade on the racks. Anways !!!! I had looked at a couple then went to the counter and got a muzzle gauge, they will let you borrow one if ya ask. I had no more looked at about 3 when one stood out and gauged great. Bout that time the older guy that works there named Leon came over to help me.We both gauged it and WoW The muzzel Gauged at 1 1/2 at the most and the throat gauged at 1/2 Wow !! We broke it down and found all matching parts OMG !! Looking closer at the stock with the parts off we find that the stock has been bedded OMG...it aparenty came off a match rifle. Leon says this one was marked wrong and was suspose to be a higher grade and was waiting fr the worst but I got it for the price of 495 :) Most of the guys there had to inspect it and offered to take it off my hand..dont think so !! Not bad for my first Garand, that sticker on the stock is what that note says? any meaning to it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow. You did great. Let us know how it shoots. I got a Springfield service grade in Jan but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
Fantastic!! I've heard of this happening before.. A guy who actually gave me the all the info and reasoning to get a C&R license told me that he had pretty much the same thing happen at the North Store, getting a matching rifle in excellent condition for Rack price. The guy who helped him said it happens from time to time, and to take advantage of it when it does..

Congrats!!!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Nice Garand
I highly doubt the rifle was "bedded" for accuracy. Its not uncommon to find stocks that have some epoxy on the trigger latch area to tighten up the action of a worn out stock to get more life out of it. I have several stocks that came on CMP Garands that have had this done

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
When the North store opens again, I may have to make a trip to camp perry.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The note on the butt is in Greek, so obviously, this is a return from the Greek government. These rifles were given to Greece in the early 50's and were recently returned to the U.S.

The crest with the eagle (topped by the stars) is the Defense Acceptance Stamp. This was applied to firearms accepted by the Army in the 50's and replaced the "P in a circle" that had previously been used.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You are close, the eagle and stars is Dept. of Defense Acceptance stamp which did not replace the circle P .The DOD and circle P were used together. The P is a proof mark

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You are close, the eagle and stars is Dept. of Defense Acceptance stamp which did not replace the circle P .The DOD and circle P were used together. The P is a proof mark
yep..as you can see both in the pics , cleaned it with murphys oil soap today, stock dont look bad, still needs to be a tad lighter, think i'll rub it down lighty with mineral spirits then finish it by putting BLO on it.....whatcha think? any info on how the BLO goes on? wipe it on rub it in or what?

·
Registered
723 Posts
That reminds me of the stories I used to hear about guys sending away for an M-1 from the DCM, and lo-and-behold an M1D shows up at their doorstep. Nice score. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Good buy! It is sad that I live about an hour away from the South Location and have not gotten over there yet. I guess I need to do that pretty soon.

Be careful with the Linseed oil - put the rags outside when your done. They will spontaneously combust and start a fire. My wife about burned our house down after polishing a table with the stuff!!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Since you didn't strip the stock it wont take much BLO. Use very thin coats letting dry at least a day in between. Probably wont take more than a few coats

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
yep..as you can see both in the pics , cleaned it with murphys oil soap today, stock dont look bad, still needs to be a tad lighter, think i'll rub it down lighty with mineral spirits then finish it by putting BLO on it.....whatcha think? any info on how the BLO goes on? wipe it on rub it in or what?

Thin the BLO with turpentine or mineral spirits to about a 50/50 mix. Rub in a small amount with cheese cloth or a lint free rag. Wait 20-30 minutes and wipe off any excess. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours in a warm, dry place that is free of dust and pet hair. Properly dispose of your BLO soaked rags. Put them in a coffee can half full of water. They will spontaneously combust.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There's some good info out there on building a match quality Garand from a mediocre start, if given a good barrel and trigger housing. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Where are these CMP stores? Any in Colorado or nearby?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts