Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,
I have an Uberti Colt .45 and a western belt rig from Cabela's. I enjoy practicing drawing, handling, and firing the pistol. But I a couple of questions:
1. Is the constant practice, handling, and cocking it bad for the gun? I don't want to wear out the internal mechanisms that c**k the gun. But how can you practice and become proficient or at least comfortable with it without cocking it and firing it?
2. Does it hurt to dryfire a Colt single action? I know it is not good to dry fire a modern pistol with a floating, frame mounted firing pin. But what about a SAA Colt? Since the pin is mounted in the hammer and goes through a hole and is not hit or does not hit anything, etc., is it still bad to dry fire the pistol? Can it damage it? Or should I get some "snap caps", or is that necessary?
Thanks,
Pistolero
Millbrook, Al.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its not a good practice, The parts that the hammer strikes is the parts that can be dammaged. The fireing pin well enlarge the hole of the strike, true its a lo presure pistol but still!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get Snap Caps If You Are Going To Dry Fire Your Colt 45. They're Vailable At Most Major Magazines Like Natchez Or Midway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts