Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
<------------<<<-
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an old one of these at a garage sale a few years ago and plan on using it on our upcoming camping trip. It's one of the old white gas stoves, and it seems to run well on Coleman Camp Fuel. I replaced the seal on the lid with an o-ring (not the correct type of seal, but it will work), and I oiled the pump. I have two questions on the stove:

1. How much fluid should I put in the tank?
2. How often will I be pumping the tank to keep it going?

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
If we were planning on cooking with them multiple times we filled them up. If we were just going to make coffee we would just put a little bit in it. As far as pumping that depends entirely on how much cooking you are doing, how hot you're cooking, the fuel level in the tank, and things such as temperature and wind.

·
The outer edge of civilization
14,575 Posts
If it were mine, I'd convert it to run on propane tanks. The tanks are a lot less hassle, imho. And I hate white gas...I've never been able to make it work.

·
<------------<<<-
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If we were planning on cooking with them multiple times we filled them up. If we were just going to make coffee we would just put a little bit in it. As far as pumping that depends entirely on how much cooking you are doing, how hot your cooking, the fuel level in the tank, and things such as temperature and wind.
Ok. I guess I was looking for a black and white answer to gauge how good my stove is, but now I understand it’s not a black and white situation. I found max capacity on my unit is about three cups of fuel.

If it were mine, I'd convert it to run on propane tanks. The tanks are a lot less hassle, imho. And I hate white gas...I've never been able to make it work.
I would, but it’s a 1940’s model, and I’d like to keep it the way it is. If we camp more, next year, I’ll be looking for a propane unit. My dad had both types for our trips.

·
The outer edge of civilization
14,575 Posts
I understand completely. When you get ready to get a propane stove, I highly recommend Academy Sports Magellan brand. I picked one up and love it. It's well made, with all the plumbing safety in the body of the stove. And I think it's made by Coleman. 🙂

·
<------------<<<-
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the stove in question. I boiled a kettle of water tonight, and I didn’t have to pump too terribly often. 40 pumps initially, then 10-20 every five minutes, or so. Higher temps needed more pumping, obviously.

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Green

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
If you look where the fuel line connects to the stove , that metal pipe is called a generator. It passes thru the flame and makes pressure while it runs . So you pump it up to get started and not much after that. White gas, Coleman fuel, is very stable and has great shelf life when stored . It is a bit pricey . But a gallon goes a long long time.

·
<------------<<<-
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you look where the fuel line connects to the stove , that metal pipe is called a generator. It passes thru the flame and makes pressure while it runs . So you pump it up to get started and not much after that. White gas, Coleman fuel, is very stable and has great shelf life when stored . It is a bit pricey . But a gallon goes a long long time.
I noticed it just kept going while I waited for it to burn all it’s pressure off. I read somewhere (I think on Coleman’s site) that a gallon of camp fuel will cook as long as 3.5 1lb propane cylinders. If that’s the case, the camp fuel is a little bit cheaper at $16/gal. Not to mention using gas in a pinch. But, I think I’d prefer propane if we start camping more.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Some of Coleman 's gear is listed as dual fuel which uses white gas ( Coleman fuel ) or regular unleaded gas . I have never used the gear but have come to expect good things about Coleman gear . I have stored their products for years and when I needed them , they worked. Sometimes just a little maintenance but I have had much good experience with their products.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
AJ13 here is a good resource for learning all the ins and outs of Coleman stoves.

And here is their resource for the Coleman double mantle lanterns.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
Fuel to air space in the tank is a balance.
The more fuel. The more air space taken up in the tank and the more you may have to pressurize it.
Think of a bug sprayer. When it’s plum full, you end up pumping it up more often. When it’s about half full, or less, you can spray longer because there is more air capacity to push fluid. Hope that made sense.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
When it’s plum full, you end up pumping it up more often. When it’s about half full, or less, you can spray longer because there is more air capacity to push fluid. Hope that made sense.
^^ Truth, and that's because a liquid isn't really compressible like the air is.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Convert Your Old Coleman Gas Stove To Propane - Bing video I have one and we just bought the little valve that take the propane bottle. We kept the old one, just wanted to use propane for the convenience, About $11.00.
Amazon.com : 5430 Regulator Replacement for Most Coleman Camp Stove (NOT for Roadtrip Grill) : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Actually, we had an ice storm and we were fine, we have generators that power or propane heat and air unit but our friends only had a wood fire place for house heat. They asked if we had a camp stove so they could cook.. So, I just bought the little adapter and took them some 1 lb bottles. They are not campers, but loved it. So, now I have propane as well. Cheap deal. Mines has cooked and heated a tent many years in several states.
Tool Metal Nickel Audio equipment Service

1 - 13 of 13 Posts