Coleman Fuel Alternatives

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by MRT NH 72, Sep 26, 2020.

1. MRT NH 72

MRT NH 72 G&G Evangelist

Hi all. Does anyone still use the white fuel
    lanterns and cook stove? Is there a safe alternative fuel instead of branded products? I have a couple lanterns and a stove and some Coleman fuel from who knows when. Need to break it all out and test it. Thanks, MRT

Rocky7 likes this.
  2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    My coleman stuff is all the dual fuel. Lantern and stoves can use gas or coleman fuel. I am wondering if they will run on kerosene.

Huey Rider, neophyte and TXplt like this.

3. MRT NH 72

MRT NH 72 G&G Evangelist

Gas ? Like gasoline? I think I heard one time you could use high test unleaded. Was not to keen on trying it.

4. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

You can use decent quality unleaded of any grade. Key is that it doesn't have a bunch of junk in it clogging the nozzles (leaded gas used to be a problem in this regard) and it'd be better if it didn't have water/ethanol in it (I don't think the standard mixes of ethanol would hurt that much but ethanol loves to take on water with it).

5. MRT NH 72

MRT NH 72 G&G Evangelist

Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a try.

TXplt and rando like this.
  6. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Evangelist

You should be able to pick up off brand white gas

7. rando

Maryland
    Yes the Ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs water or moisture. As long as containers capped its ok. I have seen people leave caps off of gas cans or the spout caps open.

8. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

Don't use gasoline in the original Coleman stoves , lanterns etc. They specifically use Coleman fuel.
    Coleman does offer the dual fuel products which are labeled as such which can use unleaded gasoline or Coleman fuel. Not worth the risk for a few bucks difference.

jerry and neophyte like this.
  9. MRT NH 72

MRT NH 72 G&G Evangelist

Hmmm. These specimens are somewhat vintage. To be honest I'm not crazy about putting gasoline in any of them. Just doesn't feel good. Like Brand hard said , there other brands.

neophyte and rando like this.
  10. rando

Maryland
    The dual fuel ones have been around for at least 30 years. If you have the older ones then I would use only Coleman fuel.

neophyte and TXplt like this.
  11. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    White gas & Naptha.

I get it at Walmart.

I burn that in my Zippo lighter as well.

Rocky7 and jerry like this.
  12. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    If it is not duel fuel don't use gasoline. You can use white gas though.

13. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

Second on this.

Regular gasoline has solid additives dissolved into it and is not as refined. This is what makes 86 octane different than white gas. The white gas is s more pure and leaves little to no solid deposits in the stoves and lanterns, not so with regular unleaded.

Rocky7 and Jack Ryan like this.
  14. MRT NH 72

MRT NH 72 G&G Evangelist

Thank all of you. G&G is like an experience encyclopedia!

Jaison, jerry and TXplt like this.
  15. sigma_pete

sigma_pete G&G Regular

Look at the bottom (and occasionally the side) of the fuel tank (fount) and you will two numbers stamped into it. That’s the month/year of manufacture date code. For example, 10 72 means it was made in October 1972.

Coleman’s white gas/naphtha lanterns and stoves are normally painted Coleman’s iconic green color, but more rarely are red, brown or chromed.

Coleman’s dual fuel lanterns and stoves (which can burn also unleaded gasoline) are painted silver.

Gasoline doesn’t burn as cleanly and is hydroscopic as discussed by others. Ideally, use ethanol free gas if you need to go this route as a back up.

In an emergency, you could also burn kerosene but don’t do it unless you absolutely have no other choice. It will require preheating the generator tube because of kerosene’s higher flash point and it will burn dirty and eventually plug up your generator.

Typos fixed
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Huey Rider likes this.
  16. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

If you haven't tried a decent quality regular unleaded, I might suggest giving it a shot just in case you need to downline. I really doubt (unless the source has lots of junk in it) that you'll see any major problems or striking differences (and aren't inviting trouble in that both white gas and regular unleaded are primarily naphtha based).

Granted my stuff is labeled dual fuel. But I think that was simply a label stamped on the device when the world moved away from leaded fuel (such that there was no chance of using something with TEL in the device) and they found it ran just fine on unleaded (leaded fuel was always the culprit; lead deposits and crap in it was notorious for fouling things especially when heated just like the .22LR is a fairly dirty round due to the leading). TEL is nasty stuff but only exists in aviation fuel now.

The main risk you run is that gasolines are blended and have some additives to help them burn in engines in different climates. Theoretically over time these can varnish or gum; I've not noticed a problem. They also might (due the additives) have a somewhat different smell or slightly different burn characteristics. The Coleman fuel is relatively pure and consistent but then again the nozzle tolerances in their stuff is pretty liberal (and I can always clean the nozzles). Like has been said the ethanol might create problems with corrosion and seals downline (depending on how much water it takes on) but that's really only if you store the device with fuel in it and there are lots of tanks and components which DON'T corrode or rust using ethanol enhanced gas (not that I'm really in favor of ethanol addition to gas). But I don't think you'd encounter any problems by giving it a try so long as you used gas from a decent source.

rando and Huey Rider like this.
  17. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    Coleman actually makes a kerosene lantern.

blaster, TXplt and jerry like this.
  18. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    White gas tends to stay stable for a longer time, I believe. For the few hours he has to run his snow blower a year, my friend runs white gas in it. Says it reminds him of cooking bacon and eggs while he takes care of the snow lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

Brandhard, MRT NH 72 and TXplt like this.
  19. ka5siw

ka5siw G&G Evangelist

A friend of mine worked in a Colman warranty shop. The Colman dual fuel products had an epoxy coating to the fuel tank to prevent rust caused by the water in gasoline. Colman fuel has a rust preventer in it to protect the uncoated fuel tanks. Fuel tank rust is the main killer of most Colman lanterns and stoves. Walmart sells a generic lantern fuel made by Crown. Naphtha and kerosene are not the same as Colman fuel and will not work.