Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yup, I might have shared a story like that on here of another gun store owner who made several times his investment on a .454 when they first came out because people kept returning it.

By sheer luck he was the only gun store in a 150 mile radius to get one when they first came out. He sold it, and the guy came in a couple of days later with a bandaged wrist, and just a couple of rounds missing from the box. Before he had even put a tag back on the gun, another guy bought it. A few days later that guy came back with a scar on his head because he floppy-armed it under recoil. This went on several more times with people complaining.

Finally a college kid came in and bought it. The gun went with about half that original box of ammo. The kid kept it for months, and in the mean time the shop owner was able to get another new one in stock.

One day the kid comes back with the gun and the shopkeeper asks why he is returning it.The kid says he loves the gun, but he needs to sell it.

Need the money? Not really.
Did the gun hurt you? No, I love shooting it.

Before the owner could squeeze out another question the kid's girlfriend comes in with her arm in a sling and a big gash in her forehead. "Did you get rid of that &%*$#( thing yet," she yelled.

I have heard vaguely similar stories about the .500 S&W. An ER doctor friend of mine used to work at Carraway, which was the hospital right outside of the projects in Birmingham. He joked about how many wrists he treated from thugs shooting their Desert Eagles ghetto-style.
I can believe that story. Max Prasac writes for Gun Digest about big bore handguns. He has written 3 excellent books on hunting with handguns, I have 2 of them. There is a picture of him with a bloody forehead and his comment that the 454 is not for the average guy. He shoots all the bigger guns OK, just the fast recoil of the 454 makes it dangerous.

I have one of the Rossi 454 lever guns, love it. It will shoot a 300 grain bullet as fast as my 45-70. Problem is the gun only weighs 5 pounds 8 ounces. Recoil is about like a 3.5 inch 12 gauge shell and certainly more than my 300 Weatherby magnum. I do not let anyone shoot it unless they watch me, and know exactly what it is going to do. Then even the macho guns never shoot it more than twice. I always shoot it about 5 more times, just so I can rib them, but it hurts. If I load it down to about like 44 mag it is a fun gun.

The handgun would be too much for me, my 44s are just fine, thank you.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
378 Posts
I am more interested in guns and boxes. I do have some old ammo boxes stored in my dry basement so I need to go look at them.

I do have the wooden boxes with the two 1973 S&W Model 19-3 Texas Rangers and the matching Bowie knifes designed by Blackie Collins. I do not have the shipping container boxes.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have boxes for 4 of my 7 Winchester's (6 Carbines and one rifle).
View attachment 165725

I got started before you guys did.

I also have boxes on most of my early S&W revolvers. I have the matching solid line along with broken line. The sold line is worth more.
View attachment 165731

View attachment 165732

View attachment 165733
View attachment 165734
I have a bunch of those SW boxes as well. It actually gives me a smile, just to see that pile of boxes. I keep all the manuals and original receipts in mine.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
BTW, I had new heard the big bore .454 Casull until reading C.J. Box's books. There was Joe Picket and his friend, Nate, who carried the.454 Casull (he was great with it).

·
Registered
20,592 Posts
I can believe that story. Max Prasac writes for Gun Digest about big bore handguns. He has written 3 excellent books on hunting with handguns, I have 2 of them. There is a picture of him with a bloody forehead and his comment that the 454 is not for the average guy. He shoots all the bigger guns OK, just the fast recoil of the 454 makes it dangerous.

I have one of the Rossi 454 lever guns, love it. It will shoot a 300 grain bullet as fast as my 45-70. Problem is the gun only weighs 5 pounds 8 ounces. Recoil is about like a 3.5 inch 12 gauge shell and certainly more than my 300 Weatherby magnum. I do not let anyone shoot it unless they watch me, and know exactly what it is going to do. Then even the macho guns never shoot it more than twice. I always shoot it about 5 more times, just so I can rib them, but it hurts. If I load it down to about like 44 mag it is a fun gun.

The handgun would be too much for me, my 44s are just fine, thank you.
.454 is another one of those I would love to see in a little semi-auto carbine of some sort.

You might get a kick out of this, since you mentioned .45-70. Maybe three or four years ago one of our customers ordered one of those 45-70 derringers. He didn't buy it from me, but he was trying to sell it to me because he hated it and needed money. The poor guy came in with both his trigger finger and middle finger splinted, and a bump with a dent in the middle on his head (Imagine a big, pink, Death Star on someone's forehead). His brother was with him and he helpfully showed me video of what the guy had done.

1. He loaded it up with Lever-Revolution.
2. He somehow managed to fire both rounds at once.
3. the gun flipped out of his hand at high speed and hit him so hard in the forehead that he was taken off his feet

His brother also showed me a photo of the guy's L-shaped trigger finger and S-shaped middle finger. The poor guy had to get pins in both fingers.

There were several reasons for me to turn down the gun, not least of which because after it bounced off his head it bounced and skidded its way across a concrete pad. This brand new gun, which had only fired two rounds, looked like it had been drug behind a garbage truck.

The only good thing about the whole situation is that I managed to get him into Enfield rifles. This only makes sense when you realize that his trigger finger no longer bends, but the middle finger, which looked a lot worse, is just fine. He had to adapt to shooting with that finger. I showed him a video of guys shooting Enfields like that, and another video of "the mad minute" and he was hooked.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I have a bunch of those SW boxes as well. It actually gives me a smile, just to see that pile of boxes. I keep all the manuals and original receipts in mine.
And don't forget the tools as was issued.

I have a set of non-relieved Target stocks on a 1957 5-screw 6" (lettered).

My best one is a gold box early lettered 3 1/2" 5-screw with all matching numbers (they had 5 numbers on the gun back then). It was butt, extractor, barrel, Diamond stocks, cylinder, and box.

It was also made by WW2 Veterans that made darn sure the gun went out in perfect condition. Note no ring on the cylinder from firing it.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
I have seen complete collections of the Winchester Commemorative lever action rifles. They were high dollar and this was over ten years ago when a guy at a gun show was selling like a dozen different ones. They were way expensive because all still boxed and not shot. I have quite a few old rifles I will not shoot and a few that are like not many made so I wont ever shoot them either. I never bought a commemorative though because yo have to find the right person if you ever sell it. I still come across one or two of these lever actions still in the box but that is about the only rifle I would keep the box to because its basically a non shooter and collectable.

·
The outer edge of civilization
14,297 Posts
I'm a Ford guy so Joey Lagano and Brad Keselowski.
View attachment 165711

Bringing the heat to those Toyota's.
I like Logano but can't stand Krashlousy. I was thrilled to hear he lost his ride. Now it seems he's partners with Rausch Fenway as an owner driver. 🙄

Tony Stewart and Stewart Haas Racing have been running Fords for years now.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I like Logano but can't stand Krashlousy. I was thrilled to hear he lost his ride. Now it seems he's partners with Rausch Fenway as an owner driver. 🙄

Tony Stewart and Stewart Haas Racing have been running Fords for years now.
I like Tony "Smoke" Stewart, but he raced cars other than the Ford. OK, he co-owns a Ford team today.

I am with the race on Sunday and sell on Monday. I own a 2019 Ford Mustang GT350. This is a fast car: 526 Hp with the sweet sound of a flat plan crank 5.2L engine.

·
14,297 Posts
Then you'll like the new cars hitting the track next year.

Btw...I'm not allowed to have a muscle car. Hubby is afraid I'll get stopped every time I leave the driveway...lol

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
..Hubby is afraid I'll get stopped every time I leave the driveway...lol
No problem car Lady. I also own a 2020 Porsche 911 that would be perfect for you. Just buy it and tell him about it later. BTW, my wife does the same thing on redoing our home. She changes the kitchen while not really cooking.

My pair is here:

·
Premium Member
25,105 Posts
Well this thread surely got derailed. Hopefully the OP got the info he needed before the hi-jack...

·
14,297 Posts
Sorry...

It's kind of my fault.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Sorry...
It's kind of my fault.
;)

No way. It is 100% my fault. We kept it on subject until the first Nascar guy mentioned his favorite cars.

But then we had a civil discussion on other things....No problem...

·
Registered
20,592 Posts
I have seen complete collections of the Winchester Commemorative lever action rifles. They were high dollar and this was over ten years ago when a guy at a gun show was selling like a dozen different ones. They were way expensive because all still boxed and not shot. I have quite a few old rifles I will not shoot and a few that are like not many made so I wont ever shoot them either. I never bought a commemorative though because yo have to find the right person if you ever sell it. I still come across one or two of these lever actions still in the box but that is about the only rifle I would keep the box to because its basically a non shooter and collectable.
Thanks to the internet, "Collectible" Winchesters have actually dropped in value, and many of them are worth a lot less than standard models.

The Buffalo Bill one is the one I see the most, and it has really fallen in price. The first time I ever saw on was many years ago at a gun show, a guy had two of them NIB and had them priced at $1500 each. He ended up selling one for $1250, and I have no clue what he sold the other for. Fast forward, and you are lucky to get $700 for one NIB. Without the box that is one of the better buys if you want a fairly inexpensive Winchester shooter.

The other one that really gets me is the Golden Spike which can be had cheaper than the regular 1894, and way cheaper than the unmarked brass frame '94 that was released in 1969. I've watched those steadily drop in value. I would love to have one

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Probably explains why I got mine so cheap ($559). Brand new, never fired 1968 that some guy up in Colorado thought "What am I doing with an Illinois Sesquicentennial rifle and how do I get rid of it?" I'm in Illinois (Lower Alabama originally) so it was a natural for me.

·
Registered
20,592 Posts
Probably explains why I got mine so cheap ($559). Brand new, never fired 1968 that some guy up in Colorado thought "What am I doing with an Illinois Sesquicentennial rifle and how do I get rid of it?" I'm in Illinois (Lower Alabama originally) so it was a natural for me.
The state ones are a lot of fun. Here in Alabama you could probably get an Illinois one for $450 to $500, but an Alabama one can go as high as $700. I have seen the same thing in Florida and Georgia with their state's commemorative guns. Other states can be had cheap, but the home state goes for a premium.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but it seems like there are three states whose guns still sell for a slight premium because of how few were produced. I think one was Hawaii, and maybe Nebraska and Montana for the other ones? I can't remember.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
...I can't remember off the top of my head, but it seems like there are three states whose guns still sell for a slight premium because of how few were produced. I think one was Hawaii, and maybe Nebraska and Montana for the other ones? I can't remember.
I like them as I can buy them for $500-$700 in a box and unfired. They were generally not good collectibles (many guys dislike them). I still get a unfired (or rarely fired) gun at a a big discount over the regular, in the same condition, rifle made the same year.

I would also argue that the factory took special care in making them. This is a 1967 Winchester Canadian Centennial (the same year that Alaska joined the USA):

Check out the finish on the stocks (near perfect).

The above has some engraving on the receiver (also the saddle ring).

I have the build numbers with each Commemorative issue if you are interested?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts