close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt 1860 Army

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by CoachSuper, Dec 8, 2009.

1. CoachSuper

CoachSuper G&G Newbie

I noticed that Cabelas has a Pietta Colt 1860 Army on sale for $189.

I've heard good things about these revolvers.

I own a 1858 new Army Remington that I love.

Santa's bringing me one of these Colt 1860's.

Does anyone know what percussion caps, balls, etc. work best with these babies? For example my 1858 works best with #10 caps, .454 balls, etc.

Any tips for this gun would be appreciated as well.

CS

2. wcassidy

wcassidy G&G Newbie

i'd stick too it and see how it behaves. only thing i can think of that you'd have to do would be fiddle with the charge a bit and maybe downsize to .451 if they're too hard to load.

3. CoachSuper

CoachSuper G&G Newbie

Thanks WCass.

The .454 balls work perfectly for the 1858. I've heard the .451's work well for the Colts though.

CS

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Ball size is not that critical - if too large, it will shave off more lead as it is loaded into the chambers. If too much lead shaved, drop down to the next smaller ball. The danger is with too small a ball - then you run more risk of chain firing - but that is why we grease them...... :147:

5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Pietta's normally use a smaller ball than Uberti or Colt. Use a large enough ball to shave a complete ring around the chamber. I like the ball to be .006 larger than the chamber mouth. If your ball is to large it puts stress on the loading lever and can break the pivot screws.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Big Dog. The hot gases of ignition well burn through any lube over ball likes it's not their. The primary job of the lube is to keep the fouling soft. To small of ball can cause several problems. Poor seal of the chamber can cause a chain fire. Loose fit causing the balls to move forward on recoil. That can stop the cylinder from rotating and it can cause miss fires from dead space in the chambers.

If you shave a good ring and the chambers are not out of round or damaged, that seal is adequate to prevent chain fires. Most chain fires are from poor fitting caps.

I normally use a grease cookie between ball and powder. I have shot with out them with no chain fire problem.

6. Bookman

Bookman G&G Enthusiast

Coach, you'll find the Colt grip to be larger than your Remington. Many modern shooters like the Colt for this reason.

On the minus side, the sights on the Colt are crude, and removing the cylinder is more of a hassle than on the Remington.

Still, it's good to have one of each of these revolvers.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted