Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A friend of mine has a US military Colt 1903 .38 just like the one in the pic, minus the fancy engraving. I went out and shot it with him the other day and I've got to say, it shoots like a dream. We put about 5 magazines a piece through it and there were no jams or stovepipes. It was very well balanced, and one of the most comfortable pistols I've ever shot. My hand was sore from shooting a .357 snubby, but the Colt's handle was so well designed that even after several magazines my hand was not sore at all. It was also very accurate, we were hitting paper plates at 15 yards from a standing position with ease.

The only problem is that the .38 auto ammo is kind of hard to come by these days, but I still would like to get one if I can find one in decent condition for a good price. It would make a great project gun for the gunsmithing courses I plan on taking, it might even be possible to chamber it for a more common cartridge.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Even up in the north woods I could hear the SCREAM from Colt collectors who read that you're planning to "Bubba" an original 1903 Colt just to get a gun that shoots cheaper ammunition.

Please, please buy a Ruger 9mm and leave the 100-yr-old guns to the collectors.

That was a good post. Welcome to the forum. - Bookman.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, don't worry, I just said I was considering it. In reality, If I got a 1903 I would probably just restore it to best working order possible and reblue it, and on my budget I would probably have to start with one in pretty poor condition.

If that makes the collectors mad, I guess I shouldn't tell you about what I plan to do if I get my hands on a Mauser Broomhandle :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bookman said:
Even up in the north woods I could hear the SCREAM from Colt collectors who read that you're planning to "Bubba" an original 1903 Colt just to get a gun that shoots cheaper ammunition.

Please, please buy a Ruger 9mm and leave the 100-yr-old guns to the collectors.

That was a good post. Welcome to the forum. - Bookman.
no..no rebluing..no ruining collector pieces :hmmm:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The way I see it, if I buy it I can smash it with a ball-peen hammer. :p

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering, are there any modern guns which use this same design? Cause there should be. Colt would probably make a fortune if they put out 9mm and .45 versions. I know at least they would make a couple hundred from me :) Not that I have anything against the .38 auto round, but I don't want to have to drive through three states looking for gun food :p

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehe, sorry to keep spamming, but this gun is worthy of worship.

One more question for those wiser than me in the ways of the (deadly) force. Was this firearm used in any war by the US military? As much respect as I have for this gun as a machine I would like to know some of the history behind it.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
If you were coing to adapt it to a more modern round, it seems fine as long as it's reversible, ie just swap out the barrel with another one, then swap back to be original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts