Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just found a colt 1903 pocket hammerless at a local pawnshop everything seems to work right but the outside of the gun is in fairly bad shape got some rust and such. he wanted $360 for it what do you guys think worth it or no?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Condition is everything. If it's rusty, pass.

By the way, it is not "hammerless." It has a hammer. You just can't see it.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys, i realy just had no idea what they are worth was hopeing i stumble onto a good deal but oh well

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
id say its in worse shape than that it looks mostly like thatbut add a little more rust on top, and i realy only wanted it if was pritty good deal so i guess im not getting it.:disappointed:

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
They're wonderful little guns; accurate and reliable (as might be expected from something designed by John Browning). My nephew picked one up last year, and loves it to death.

Most of them I've seen were carried a whole lot more than they were used (Al Capone carried one), so they look bad but mechanically are sound.

If the bluing's about gone, that isn't surprising for something that may have hung around in some guy's pocket for forty or fifty years. How bad is the rust? If it's strictly surface rust instead of pitting, what you were quoted might be about right around here. Of course, I live in Southern California.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was just surface rust the inside of the gun looked fine to me. and im in ohio dont know if that changes how things are priced or not

·
Registered
374 Posts
If the bore is fairly good, strong rifling, only light frosting with no deep pitting and the gun functions well, the cosmetic damage enables you to haggle down to a shooter's price. Offer him $300 if bore is good. My 1914 Type III with light salt & pepper bore was carried through two wars, was cheap at estate sale
ColtPocketHammerless_1.jpg
ColtM1903AfterSightCorrect.jpg
and shoots well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts