Colt 1911 Competition Series 9mm

Discussion in 'Colt' started by LeftHandShooter, May 9, 2020.

1. She followed me home the other day, so I decided to keep her.

Anybody have an ambidextrous safety put on theirs? If so, what one did you go with? Is it something a gunsmith has to do?
    IMG_8711.jpg
    Thanks!

2. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The 1911 Colt pistols are in a league of their own. There are copies across the planet. But only ones carries the Mustang brand. :usa2:

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

LeftHandShooter: Sir; some good reading :)

https://www.gunmann.com/1911-ambi-safety/

Worth The Upgrade?
    The short answer: Yes. Having an ambidextrous safety is worth the upgrade and for good reason. For one, this product exists to prevent your gun from accidentally going off. Accidental gunfire can pose a hazard and have deadly consequences, not only for yourself but those around you

ChaZam likes this.
  4. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I haven’t replaced a safety in ages. I’ve always had to do some minor fitting on them to get them to engage. Minor fitting means taking a little metal off the safety bar so it clears and will go to the safe position. Its no big deal should you wish to try it yourself.

A takeoff may or may not require any work.

edit - a gunsmith can’t do it in about 2 minutes if you’d rather just get it done...

I’ve always taken the ambi safeties off and replaced them with standard right-hand levers.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Ron Eagle Elk, ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  5. Well crap! Got quarantined before surgery so I didn't get to shoot it before, and will have a cast on after for who knows how long.

Of course my brother offered to shoot it if I provided the ammo, but then again he just has shoulder surgery so I guess that is a no!

6. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    You gonna have one good arm and hand combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

neophyte, ChaZam and OneShotKill like this.
  7. image.jpg

Need to learn to shoot like these guys

neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  8. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist

I don't care for the ambi safety or the big safeties. I like the controls the way JMB made them, now other refinements are great.

noelekal, neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  9. Yes but I’ll use the correct arm.

10. Being left handed I need the ambi safety.

neophyte, ChaZam and cjleete like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Good friend of mine is a lefty and shoots his 1911 fine. He taught himself to bring his left thumb around to actuate the safety.

As far as loading, charging and shooting one handed, I worked a bunch with my FIL when he was recovering from a stroke. Got him comfortable running his Colt 1911 one armed.
    Just tossing ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

12. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Evolution Gun Works (EGW) makes a lot of parts. Their ambidextrous safety is rumored to be a really good piece of hardware. The sleeve that joins and reinforces the 2 shafts should equate to many years of trouble free service. It's the 1st one in this video Mark...

neophyte likes this.
  13. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Nice, one of my bucket list guns. Congratulations on your new purchase.

ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  14. I like what I see! Thanks for the video!

ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  15. Riding the thumb safety at 1:40.

neophyte likes this.
  16. Heard the gunsmith at my LGS will only install parts purchased at that store. Interesting.

neophyte likes this.
  17. Decided on the WILSON -Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Tactical Thumb Safety 1911 Wide Lever Ambidextrous.

Was a bit higher than on-line but with the free install the price was lower than if I'd had bought it and had them install it. I am going to talk to the gunsmith today to see when he can put it on.

neophyte, jerry and Moroco Mole like this.
  18. Waiting on getting her back now.

Not like I can shoot her, but...!

jerry likes this.