Colt Colt 1911 frame

Discussion in 'Colt' started by jfelton, May 25, 2008.

1. jfelton

jfelton G&G Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I was wondering if anybody might know where I can get my hands on a Colt 1911 frame. I have accuired a pistol that has a Colt slide that was made in 1943 w/ 'P' proof mark, but an Essex frame, I'm trying to find the correct Colt frame, any suggestions?

2. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

I have no idea, but according to a recent article in Shotgun News, many frames are available through Numrich & other suppliers.

Eventually I'll end up piecing together my own 1911 standard as the articles showed, mostly as a learning tool...I'm keeping my eye out at the next gun show in my area to find either a good frame/barrel/or slide to start with. As I keep acquiring more weapons I've discovered a need to learn good gunsmithing so that I can handle any minor difficulties as they crop up...plus I'm a cheapskate and if I can learn to do it I don't have to PAY anyone else...lol

3. I would not worry about the essex frame, alot of custom 45's have been built on their frames. I would save money and get another Colt. One is never enough.
    Mike

4. jackar

jackar G&G Newbie

You can go into gunbroker.com and there is a want section there you can post what you need. I've had good luck there, two items being factory walnut grips for my Hi-Std HD-Military, and a new cylinder and crane (yoke) for a S&W Model 36. I'm not positive whether or not you have to be a member, but if so it's no big deal to do so.