Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If everything works out right I might be the owner of a colt 1991. It has a waiting period to come out of pawn, but what happened was one of the gun shop guys promised me a sale on a Springfield Milspec for 299.00 case and mag and all. it was in good condition so he told me to come back the following monday to pick it up, said he would hold it for me. Well the other guy behind the counter sold it out from under me without my seller's permission, reguardless who was in the wrong, I held the establishment at fault. That is one NO NO in my opinion when it comes to dealing in the gun culture. If you promise to hold a gun for a set ammount of time , DO IT.
Any way the guy felt bad and told me he wanted to make ammends, and offers me a 1991 used for a price of 225 - 275 because he didn't have much in it. He gave me first offer and I told him I would give his establishment one more chance. What can I say that is a heck of a deal. I have never owned one of these series 80s guns or fired one, what is you all's opinion on it?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,207 Posts
I'd jump all over it. That's a good deal.

There are no functional issues, however I'd look for a Metal main spring housing and trigger. the 1991A1 has plastic. Again, it works fine.

Most typical shooters don't notice a whole lot of difference in trigger feel between the series 70 & 80 guns. This depends on the person. Technically the series 80 trigger block adds a measure of safety. True 1911 aficianodos may scoff though. At the end of the day, trigger pulled it goes bang. I'll take it either way.

As far as the transaction goes, things happen. Don't sound like they did it on purpose. Buy that Colt and wear a smile.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,987 Posts
I've had my 1991A1 since '95 - ten years. It has NEVER malfunctioned, except for a couple bad mail-order cheapo magazines and reloads using Speer hollow-points.
It's no target pistol, but with ammo it likes, it'll print a three inch group at 15 yards. Well within 'Minute-of-Goblin'.

I'm happy with it! :target:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard that the series 80 colt's firing pin saftey is disengaged by the pulling of the trigger, which some have said makes it hard to get a good trigger job done on one, but from what I have read, I like it better than the new Kimber firing pin safety, even though it doesn't work off of the trigger system at all. (Correct me if I am wrong, I am learning.) I'm pretty sure Kimber uses a grip safety-type firing pin disconnect. Which has been said to be weaker of the two.

I have a close friend who has already told me to replace the parts that you told me about Jerry, thanks for the input tho, I need to look the stuff up in Brownells, to see what I might need.

Hey BIG DOG, did you need a bushing wrench to take your 1991 apart?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts