close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt .22 Target Model

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Todd Burton, May 8, 2002.

1. Todd Burton

Todd Burton G&G Newbie

I have noticed nobody talking about this pistol as a good shooter to add to their collection. I have owned one for several years now with no complaints at all. Is the Colt just not as popular as Ruger, Browning, and S&W?
    -Todd

2. Hey, I researched it thoroughly and found that that the Ruger competion model, or the government target model, was the way to go.

I shoot mine without a scope, so I chose the gvmt. model. If you plan to shoot with a scope, I'd suggest that you take the competion model, it comes with scope rings and is a slab-side.

Happy shooting!

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My shooting buddy has the Colt, and he likes it. I don't find the grip to my liking, and I can't get it to group well. My Buckmark serves me much better.

4. Todd Burton

Todd Burton G&G Newbie

What kind of groups does your Buckmark shoot? I usually buy Blazer ammo and can shoot groups the size of my thumbnail at 20 yards with a rest. The grips feel bulky in my hands. I probably should buy new grips.
    -Todd

5. Big Dog

I can usually manage an inch at 25 yards if I'm careful, but I'm not really a pistol shooter. I'm a rifle guy. I mostly plink with the .22 handguns. My Buckmark prefers the hotter loads, like Aguila's Super Maximums. CCI Blazers do well for me, too. It doesn't care for the Remington bulk-pack stuff, and sometimes won't cycle if the load is light. I had the chance to shoot another Buckmark like mine, but with a Red Dot sight. It was much more consistent.

6. I have been searching for extra magazines for my Colt Target Model for many rears with no luck. At a shoot last Saturday I noticed that magazines for the Beretta Neos looked similar. They were exactly the same magazine, and I borrowed one and tried it successfully. The magazines are available everywhere.

7. Big Dog

Interesting! I had once read of a connection between the older Colt design and the Beretta - this would seem to verify it.