• yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Colt .22lr pistol for $250..stainless or hard chrome finish, polymer frame, mag release like an AR-15, wierdest safety I ever saw..I need a .22lr pistol because I don't have one :target:

·
Registered
11,920 Posts
If you like it and it's reliable, it's similar in price to a Walther P22 and a Beretta NEOS. If you like it best and it works well, I guess it's the right choice.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,927 Posts
I personally voted "NO" on this one. My shooting buddy has one, and I can't make it shoot straight. My Buckmark and Whitney both put it to shame.
The grip shape just doesn't fit my big hand, so I can't hold it comfortably. Keith has small hands, so he likes it. The extreme angle of the grip is a bit odd too, though my Whitney is just as rakish, and I love it! Go figure?! ;)
Function-wise, it is a reliable pistol, as a Colt should be. Extra magazines aren't as easy to find, as compared to a Browning Buckmark or Ruger pistol.
JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
11,920 Posts
So the name is that big a deal? What about "Browning" or "Beretta"? Smith and Wesson is American made if that's an attraction. Personally, I'm not impressed with Colt, in fact I never have been. Their ARs are not 100% interchangeable with the rest, their 1911s are high priced but use low end parts (ie plastic triggers, correct me if I'm wrong). The good things they built in this century were invented by someone else (Stoner, Browning, etc).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I rented a Colt .22 auto at a range in Florida several years ago. The gun functioned and shot just fine. I suppose any gun that is sturdy enough for a rental must be a decent gun.
I think the one I shot was hard chrome. $250 seems like a good price. If you like the way it fits, I'd buy it.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
"DAWG!!!

i cannot recall where i read it, but somebody is bringing back the Whitney!!! might be nice, i remember them in magazine ads in the old days, thought they were cool. if there is a remake i definitly plan on getting one.:D

·
36,927 Posts
Papa G, GunsAmerica has two for sale now - $799 each - one blue/black finish and one the nickle finish with white grips (the rare one!).
Way too much moola for me - I paid $300 for mine. ;)

I'm hoping OA will give the repro better sights, and change that funky decocker to a real safety. But keep that marvelous trigger!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The little Colt .22 has, IIRC, been discontinued for several years.
$250 NIB isn't a bad price, if it suits the shooter - it just doesn't work for me personally. I'd love an old Woodsman though! :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whitney Wolverine
Calibre: .22LR Rimfire
Manufactured in 1956 and discontinued in 1957. A semi-auto with a 10 cartridge magazine and a 4.75" barrel. It was created partially as a result of new aluminum alloys recently developed in World War II. The person wwho developed it, Robert Hillberg eventually went on to work for High Standard, and the company was sold to avoid bankruptcy. Some interesting facts... The Serial numbers started at 100,000 because their machine was screwed up. Only 22,000 were even made. Also, only the first few were called the Wolverine, because another company was already using the name, and it was afterwards refered to as the Whitney Autoloader.

·
36,927 Posts
The later pistols were called the "Lightning", but the basic design was produced into the early sixties. Mine has "Alcoa" stamped into the frame, under one grip panel - testifying to it's aluminum frame construction. With it's threaded muzzle for the barrel nut, I always thought this pistol would lend itself to possible mounting of a muzzle device (I won't use the dreaded "s" word!), but I'm not into that anyway. The first time stripping it completely was an adventure - luckily I have a book with the pic and instructions.
The Whitney is the most comfortable pistol I have ever held, and I had wanted one since I saw it in a book during Highschool! It's a bit bigger than it looks in the photos, too.

I had expected the Colt to feel similar, but it seems to have the upper "tang" of the frame too low, interfering with my grip on it.
I haven't handled the NEOS yet, but would like to compare it to the Whitney and Colt designs.

My Whitney Wolverine:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/93045/WhitneyWolverine2.JPG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't find what I was looking for at the Gunshow so I went to the local hardware store and bought the Colt Cadet .22lr :target:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by BattleRifleG3
So the name is that big a deal? What about "Browning" or "Beretta"? Smith and Wesson is American made if that's an attraction. Personally, I'm not impressed with Colt, in fact I never have been. Their ARs are not 100% interchangeable with the rest, their 1911s are high priced but use low end parts (ie plastic triggers, correct me if I'm wrong). The good things they built in this century were invented by someone else (Stoner, Browning, etc).
:assult: tell us how you really feel BRG3...that holding it in stuff is bad for your health..:p

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
SO L.D.

did you buy it or what???:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it isn't a bad sidearm to leave locked up

in the glovebox..if it get's stolen you don't lose one of your good guns :target:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
took it to the range today

I put 150 Stingers through it :target: it likes Stingers alot more than it liked Winchester hollowpoints...it is more accurate than I previously gave it credit for..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts