Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I came across a colt AR15 chambered in 7.62x39 at a gun show the other day. I was wondering are these sought after much? Are they just as reliable as the colt .223? Do they have any problems? I know it will vary but whats an average price for 95% or better? I was just wanting some feedback, some day I might want one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a Colt 762x39 16" Colt upper, got lucky, $350 shipped with charging handle,BCG,but no mags on line used. DPMS also makes a good 762 upper, its really the bolt that makes the difference. Since they had to hog out the bolt head to fit a 762 shell the bolt rim is naturally thinner. Colt and DPMS heat treat theirs better than others and they are less likely to break after a good beating at the range. The upper functions fine its the mags you have to worry about. Get Franken mags no USA ones, the Franken Mag is a AK mag with a AR top tack welded on. The USA mags look like a regular AR mag but is less likely to function as well.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks Cetmedog for your info. What kind of group do you get at a 100yards?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have no idea, I know at 100 yards I can nail the crap out of a may tag dryer, its a 16" not a sniper. Punching paper is fun and all but Im one of those guys that will shoot rocks to see sparks fly. This was more for fun and I have other rifles that shoot 762. If Im shooting stuff out there thats what my 308s are for. The guy that previously owned it used it for deer hunting in Washington, he said he had alot of land out there and got it from a friend that sold it to him cheap and then he got tried of it and passed it along online. It is just a stand 16" barrel with a A2 upper and standard front sight. I would think if I scoped it it would fair well but hell its a Colt, the name says it all. If he was whacking deer with it I guess it did ok. It hits where I point it every time. Im sure there are some other guys here with one that would have better input on that. I also got a 9mm Oylmpic upper that functions great. Others like the RRA and such just because they can use the mag release button, but mine was cheap at a fun show and dont care about the lever out the bottom. That is the usual reason I buy stuff, "it was so cheap I could not afford to not buy it"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts