Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was given, gratis by a friend moving to MA. a single action Colt "Cowboy" six shooter.
I have been shooting black powder out of my Ruger SAs and am very pleased with the preformance of the BP in the Rugers. So I was wondering---
The "Cowboy" was outsourced by Colt and intended for sale to CASS shooters
@ around $600.00 new. It is definately on the low end of (discontinued) Colt products so I was wondering if it is bulit strong enough to handle about 35- 40 grs. of GOEX FF powder and not blow up!:feedback:

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The original Colt .45 cartridge 1873 army or peacemaker was a 250gr bullet driven by 40grs black powder. sam.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This revolver is NOT the Colt SAA! It was produced somewhere in Europe for Colt and priced around $600.00 new. From what I understand this revolver is far below Colt 's standard in manufacture. A Colt SAA is, to the best of my knowledge, at least double in price. I'm not saying that the "Cowboy" isn't safe to fire, and I know that BP produces less pressure per grain weight than smokeless. If anyone has fired this weapon with Black powder and lived to tell about it Please let me know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts