Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Diamondback (4" barrel) and the grips move slightly (the screw is tight and the grips aren't broken). Is this a common occurrence with these revolvers? Is there a fix or are new grips necessary?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Electrician's tape can be built up under the grips at the wide spot to reduce or eliminate wiggle. Or, you could glass-bed the stocks for a perfect fit.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Colt spent a lot of time checkering the stocks for their revolvers in the 1970's, it's too bad they didn't fit them better to the individual guns. I've seen plenty of loose ones, too; not just on the Diamonback but also on the more expensive Python.

If you want to go with replacement stocks, I've found the ones made for the Detective Special are more comfortable to use. Both guns have the same frame and will interchange. I never liked the shape of the factory-issue stocks on the Diamondback. I shot a .38 Diamondback with DS wood stocks back in the mid-1970's with modest success. Rubber stocks are available, too.

The Diamondback was a good gun that just couldn't compete (cost-wise) with the K-frame S&W revolvers. Collectors should be interested in the Diamondback some day. Colt didn't make a lot of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Diamondback grips

I recently acquired a Diamondback (4" barrel) and the grips move slightly (the screw is tight and the grips aren't broken). Is this a common occurrence with these revolvers? Is there a fix or are new grips necessary?
I need a set.My after market wood grips have a big chip in them.I will pay a fair price.I like the looks of the originals.Let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need a set.My after market wood grips have a big chip in them.I will pay a fair price.I like the looks of the originals.Let me know.
Pistola,

I wasn't ignoring you. I was looking for the grips but I put them away for safekeeping almost four years ago and I can't remember where I put them. I have a bunch of boxes to look through and if I can locate them, I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have owned several Diamondbacks over the years and have found that the older guns tend to have loose grips. For some reason, the grips on the guns sold in the later years of production tend to have larger grips with more of an angle to them. I have found that it is eaiser (and cheaper) to put aftermarket grips on the guns if the grips are loose.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Another option is to glass bed the grips to the frame cutouts. Use good automotive paste wax or Acra-Glas release agent on the frame. Position one grip and clamp it to the frame in a spot that will allow access to the back of the grip. Mix up some regular Acra-Glas and and apply it all around the edges of the grip frame allowing it to flow into the gaps between frame and grip. Be sure to degrease the grips and use a Scotch-Brite pad to rough up the contact surfaces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts